Building a pocketable X86 handheld "gaming" PC

Because of Key and Peele, every time I hear or see “…with great power, comes great responsibility,” I translate it to “With great power comes great responsitrilitrance.”

3 Likes

I went a bit crazy and bought a bunch of stuff for this project including a 5th gen i5 Nuc, an embedded Ryzen Nuc with Vega 8 graphics, another screen (7"), and an Intel Celeron PC stick. I also have a larger battery on the way that I might use.

Links to mentioned parts

Used:
PC - Intel Celeron J4105 stick
Screen - 5.5" OLED touchscreen

Not used:
PC - ASRock 4X4 Box (too power hungry, but this thing is a beast, 4 cores and 8 threads, and Vega 8 graphics. Halo Reach MCC 1080p @30fps, It looks better and feels smother than the Xbox 360, and it’s smaller than a 4th it’s size)
PC - i5 Nuc (got off eBay, and they’re gone) (too big for the tiny improvement over they Celeron stick)
Screen - 7" LCD touchscreen

I’ve decided I’m going to use the Celeron PC stick, and the 5.5" OLED touchscreen, and I’ve already removed all the ports from them.

(Through my current battery in there too)

This setup played CoD Black Ops 2 at a minimum of 30fps (up to 50fps), and feels pretty good.

(Intel Atom stick on top, Celeron on the bottom)

6 Likes

YES!!! This is what I originally wanted, 2 flatpacks stacked on top of each other. The battery on the right is the new battery for my handheld PC. New battery is a 10,000mAh the old one was 8,000mAh (on the left)!

(New on top)

5 Likes

does it do load balancing, I’ve heard that’s important when charging two cells at the same time

2 Likes

From what I just researched, It doesn’t need balancing since they’re in parallel, but each cell does need under/over voltage protection and current limiters in case one cell goes bad. It’s something I’ll have to check, but it does have a temperature probe, so I’d assume it has everything else, but I will check.

Approximately how much time will this pack give you at average load?

So I didn’t check the power consumption for this setup, but from my testing with my other PCs for this project I’d guess 4hrs of Black Ops 2.

The Intel Atom stick was looking to be a bit over 5hrs

1 Like

Any update on the project? I think its really cool, and I am going to do something similar to get as much power for as little price.
Specs of my “prototype” machine:
Lattepanda Delta;
-Intel Celeron n4100
-4gb lpddr3 ram
-32gb emmc (will be upgraded tho)
Lattepanda 7" eDp touch screen
RavPower 60w portable batter 20000 mah
iPega Telescopic controller which will be modded easily
m.2 NVMe SSD Silicon Power
Custom 3d printed case
The specs resemble a version of a GPD win
The total price of all of this is very reasonable, for everything you are getting: $369
However I will do some more research and see if I can make a more powerful one, for the same price or a little more expensive.

1 Like

If you don’t care about the satisfaction from DIY stuff, you guys should just get this-

1 Like

I have some updates, but it’s been on hold for a while. Might pick it back up soon since wether is getting too warm for my outdoor projects.

I’ll try to remember to share my updates when I get home.

Now, as for you wanting more power look at the ASRock 4x4 box. It’s essentially an AMD Ryzen powerd Intel nook.
The one I got has Ryzen V1605B with Vega 8 graphics. With 4 cores and 8 threads it’s a monster! Halo Reach @ 1080p and it’s much smoother and better looking than what my 360 can do. However this thing is HUNGRY, I don’t remember the watts it was pulling (can dig it up later if you want), but it was much more than it said on paper.

They do make a less powerful one with Vega 3 graphics which I’d recommend trying if you go this route.

My break is up, so that’ll have to do for now.

2 Likes

So will you be continueing this project or was that it? No judgement it just was really awesome to see another person trying to do this like I am. Do u think a semi older mini desktop could work or would it just need to much battery?

I can’t make any promises, but I have every intention to finish it. Right now, I unfortunately have other more pressing projects.

I’d love to see your project! If you make a topic about it let me know and I’ll be more than happy to help out where I can.

Oh, and here’s the ASRock 4x4 I’d recommend (though I never got this one) if you go that route.
ASRock AMD Ryzen Embedded CPU Barebone 4X4 BOX-R1000V SoC Dual GLAN Supports Triple Displays Mini / Booksize Barebone System https://www.newegg.com/product/N82E16856158066?ignorebbr=1&m_ver=1

This is the 4x4 box I got.
ASRock AMD Ryzen Embedded CPU Barebone 4X4 BOX-V1000M SoC Dual GLAN Support Triple Displays Mini / Booksize Barebone System https://www.newegg.com/product/N82E16856158065?m_ver=1

I also dug up the power usage for that 4x4 box I got, and it was around 50 watts, I was able to get it down to 42, but the BIOS doesn’t have anything for power management.

sorry to bother you, but did you finish any of the handhelds? would be fun to know, doing something like this too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not a problem.
Nope, I never did finish them and though I still have all the stuff to make one it has slipped down my project list a fair bit. I have been thinking about it more since the Steamdeck delay though.

i think i build one of this way back 2019

Welcome!

You think you built one?

Is this project dead? It would be cool if I could find a smaller solution to my Steam Deck. That thing is cool but huge. It would be awesome if I can find an x86 handheld console that actually fits in my pocket. Something that can run Windows or Steam OS ideally.

1 Like

I haven’t worked on it in a long time, but I still have all the components, and I was just talking about it literally yesterday.

I will likely pick it up again here soon.

And welcome to L1!

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you learn about this project?