Building a PC

I have no illusions about my ignorance in the subject of the PC hardware realm. I just don't have experience with it. But I've been wanting to build a PC for a while now and this 7 year old store bought it truly showing it's age, so what better time than now?

All I'm asking is just a quick look over my parts, see if anything sticks out as "this won't go with this" or "you could probably get by with this instead" or etc. I'm going to be using it for mostly gaming (I want to be able to play something like Fallout 4 with little to no problems) though I'll use it for practicing programming once I go back to school. (Though that doesn't really matter concerning hardware, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

Budget: Roughly $750-$850

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with PCI-Express Graphics Card Boost
Harddrive: Western Digital Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
Mainboard: MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97 PC MATE
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin UDIMM Memory
Power Supply: XFX TS 550w Full Wired 80+ Bronze Power Supply - P1550SXXB9

I already feel kinda iffy on everything, but I guess that's just the anxiety talking.

1 Like

I don't see any incompatibilities. I prefer Western Digital Red drives over blue drives but that's just my use-case. The power supply is bronze rated so you shouldn't plan on reaching that 550w limit. if you plan on adding more graphics cards or power hungry components in the future, you'd better plan to upgrade the PSU at the same time. I made the mistake of buying a new PSU for every upgrade because I cut it close every time. If you are thinking of the future I'd look at a better rated 650w.

Looks good. I personally I would add an SSD for the OS if the budget allows.

Edit: inb4 people want to change the psu, mobo because z97 is for overclocking, and the video card because reasons

1 Like

Yeah, I plan on over time just adding and replacing as needed so I will keep that in mind. Thanks~

What makes you prefer the red though? Preference or...?

Oh, and trust me, if the budget allowed I would have a SSD on this list. That might be a later addition when I have the spare cash.

And I've never understood the reasoning behind overclocking. Or rather, why anyone would need to besides to say that they do.

WD red drives are Reliable and server grade, for just a little more. I've had WD black drives fail on me before, so I don't trust em. Blue drives have similar specs to Black drives. However, Red drives are slow. and I wouldn't recommend as a boot drive. I use my Red drives in raid 0 becuase they are reliable and that holds my steam library. for your use case I'd either go with a fast SSHD (hybrid drive: half solid state, half hard-drive) SSD, Or high RPM Hard drive. I think the blue drive would work just fine for your needs though.

Start here

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPqwWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPqwWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($172.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card ($294.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $703.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-18 18:29 EST-0500