Building a PC

Hello everyone! I am wanting to switch to pc because I am tired of console(nothing against them) I now have the money to spend on a decent one i think. I know a bit about computers but not enough to build one for gaming.

Anyways. I have about $800-$1000 to spend on it. Please help me with this and please explain why I should pick that one lol. Thanks for your help.

Peripherals, OS, monitor?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GLdLFT

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)  The Best AMD processor for the money, 8 cores and can overclock very well.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.98 @ OutletPC)  To cool the overclocked CPU of course, but the Noctua brand is known for their quality and very low noise levels.

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)  Asus is great at implementing high end features even on their entry level boards, and this one will allow you to overclock the 8350 easily.

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)  Because its 8GB has a CAS latency of 9 and its cheap.

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)  Small SSD with a Sandforce controller for Operating System and vital programs to make the rig snappy.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.40 @ Amazon)  Because you're going to need more space than the SSD for all your games and this one is great.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg) Best GPU in class for the money, there are different variants of the GTX 760 but this one was the cheapest and it comes with Watchdogs free right now. This will determine your game settings for most games, and this card is more than capable within your price range.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg) Its a clean looking case that has great noise dampening material built in to keep things quiet.

Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)  650watts so if you decide to SLI or Crossfire later (which is supported by the Motherboard) you have room to upgrade.

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg) Just in case you don't know how to install the OS via USB stick, otherwise this is pretty much useless now.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC) Its Windows, and you want to play games right.

Total: $977.28 because its less than your budget. 

:D

Here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qfxwyc.

Went with an i5 4590, it runs at 3.3GHZ an is quite fast for the $189.99 (It is better than the 8350, and has the upgrade path to an i7). It also shouldn't bottleneck anything.

R9 280 is a stinking fast card for the price. It beats the GTX 760 and it also overclocks well. Well worth the price.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB + OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD will be fast and also bring a good amount of storage.

Source 210 window is a nice, simple case that is clean and good looking.

Raidmax 635W PSU is 80+ Bronze and will power this whole system + more.

Asrock Z97 motherboard will allow you to upgrade to a i7-4770k or something down the road, and will also allow you to overclock (The i5 here doesn't allow overclocking though)

Also included a Windows 7 OEM copy as well, if you need it.

No monitor, keyboard and mouse and it comes out to below the $1000 price point.

I highly recommend you check out the video on why to move to PC gaming (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhdL-ITG-M).

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Obstinated/saved/xD7p99

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 (is not server cpu) is like an i7 locked without igpu(which you dont need) with lower power consume and cheaper

Xigmatek Prime SD1484 better than Hyper 212 quiet and is more than u need for the Xeon

ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE good features(sound and 8 power phases for stability and if you buy an i7-xxxxk can overclock) and quality

A-Data XPG & Mushkin Chronos fast and cheap

Seagate Barracuda cheap

Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 vey strong performance/price

BitFenix Ghost silent case with good features

Thermaltake 750W solid PSU

Apevia CF20SL-UBL help to keep the system cooler

• CPU: AMD FX-8350($189.99 sale)
  • Optional(but recommended) cooler: Noctua NH-U12S($69.99) The 12 and 14 cm ones seems to have little difference in the noise to cooling area. Currently using a stock cooler on my phenom II x4 965, it gets really loud when playing high end games, so definitely nice to have the cooler.
  • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3($123)
  • RAM: Team Vulcan 8GB kit ($69.99, 2 x 4gb)
  • PSU: Either the Corsair HX650($109.99, Semi-modular) or RM650($119.99 Full modular), they might be a little more expensive, but after putting in my TX750 I really wished I would have gotten a semi or full modular PSU myself. Another option is SeaSonic SSR-650RM($99.99 currently), which is semi-modular. For the sake of budget fractal design integra r2 650W($54.99)
  • GPU: EVGA/ASUS/MSI GTX 760 2GB($250~ EVGA currently $229.99 after $15 rebate), and if you're thinking about SLI'ing I would recommend the 4GB model to insure both cards have enough RAM.(SLI would require a bigger PSU though. I think about a 800 Watt)
  • HDD: Seagate barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200RPM($59.99 currently)
  • OPTIC DRIVE: LG Black 12x BD-ROM UH12NS30($34.99 currently), or just go any DVD-ROM which would run you $15~
  • Total so far: $742.96 w/o noctua cooler

• Case: I can't really recommend a case, never really gone shopping for one, but I would say look at fractal, corsair, cougar, and some others. I definitely feel like a case is quite the personal choice for the builder, just because that's what you see, and you have a general idea of how many slots you want for 3.5, 2.5 and 5.25 bays. But I'd say look about the $50-80 price point(for the total I'll use $65), usb 3.0 ports on the case would definitely be a plus, and there are headers on the mobo for it.

And really for everything else I dunno what to recommend, I use basics for my mouse and keyboard(logitech k120, and gigabyte GM-M6800), Monitor should run you about $150-200, IPS would be good for picture and definitely look for a 5ms one(best I've seen), or if you're okay with LED backlit TN, then that'd make it cheaper, I definitely think 5ms vs 1-2ms isn't much, 1080p monitor(1440p's run around $300).

So with those general ideas I come up to $987.96 without mouse keyboard and noctua cooler.
A way to shave some of the cost off some parts(if needed) is probably to drop down to a GTX 660($180~) a GTX 750Ti would be close to $130 and performs just under the 660, and doesn't require external power, so that means you could drop the wattage a bit on the PSU.

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry I didnt respond sooner. I just got off work. I will defiantly give these a look tomorrow morning. 

Oh god the raidmax.

HAHAHA I was thinking the same!!!! I would rather buy a more reliable 500w power supply.

Always go intel! trust me... I'm a professional.

Agreed, go Intel if your gaming. i5 is all you need (the quad core eight thread Xeon is good too).