Building a new PC

Hello i am building a new pc and want some opinion for the parts i have chosen.
Especially the motherboard cpu and ram.
I am pairing a Ryzen 3700x with a ASUS prime x570-pro and two G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 Kit for 32Gb of memory.
Is this a good choise is i want to use the pc for Gaming and running VM’s.
I intent to use 2 graphiccards so de vm can have a dedicated card.
And main OS will be Linux

You may want something of a rolling distro for that. The general consensus seema to indicate that the newest hardware isnt fully ready for primetime yet. Downgrade to a 2nd Gen and a X470 for a smoother experience

1 Like

That doesn’t say anything so opinions are impossible. Which speed, which specs. Just post the part number if possible.

Mainboard should be fine although personally not a fan of ASUS. Looking through forum search it appears some people have already used this board successfully.

Although the usefulness of X570 is debatable at best, especially when looking at cost. If you’re thinking about upgrading CPUs later maybe, but since you’re not using the top-end now I assume you don’t plan on doing that either. The only advantage for X570 is PCIe 4.0 support and unless you know you will be using that you pay a lot for a feature you will not use.

Most people don’t even use PCIe 3.0 fully, nevermind PCIe 4.0.

1 Like

The part number of the ram is F4-3600C19D-16GVRB.
Thanks for the tips.
I want to build the pc in such a way that I can use it close to 10 years if possible.
I do maybe want to upgrade the gpu in the futere.

I am running a similar setup. Mine is a 3900X on the ASUS x570-PRO.

I had some problems with later versions of the ASUS BIOS, HyperX 3,600 MHz RAM and DOCP / XMP settings. It was unstable at 3,600, but it was stable on the first release BIOS. The one that ran extra hot and had broken RDRAND. :slight_smile:

Just watch out for that and maybe try manual RAM settings using one of the Ryzen RAM Calculators that are around.

I haven’t gone back to try the high speed RAM settings myself because I ended up getting 64 GB of 2,666 MHz ECC. It isn’t super-fast but I like the reliability and it is less than 5% speed difference on most things.

I am currently running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the Hardware Enablement so it is on kernel 5.3.0. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 at first because of the broken RDRAND. I keep meaning to switch to Fedora but never do it.

I am running a Vega 56 on open source drivers because I knew the Linux support for the Navi cards was going to be bad at release. I don’t know where that’s at now. I have heard it is better.

Anyway, install the latest BIOS, be careful to test RAM stability at overclock / XMP / DOCP speeds, and I think it will work great for you.

Oh hey, that’s 16 GB in 2 sticks. You should make sure if it will run at 3,600 with four sticks. Ryzen 3,5,7,9 chips are all dual channel, although they can handle four RAM sticks and I’ve heard there can be some speed problems if it has to manage four instead of two.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.