Building a Home Server

I offload the on board sata to a 8 sata port card. ZFS with 2 vdev’s of 24TB each.

I suggest going any stable platform and run evrything in containers/vms, imho proxmox or centos/debian works wonders

1 Like

Whoa dude! I would invest in a HBA card and some SAS forward breakout cables to increase your airflow through your drives.

2 Likes

Thank you, that does look like a good idea. I have 2 120 corsair fans in front, and 2 120 low speed fans blowing in from the side. But every little bit helps. I just got to figure out how to pass the zfs pools into the VM’s.

New HBA Card and breakout cables…

4 Likes

All Done!

4 Likes

are you using ssd for a zpool log? e.g. zpool add pool log mirror nvme0n1p1 nvme0n2p1

how does your zpool look like e.g. what’s your zpool status returning?

2 Likes

Added a 10 gig switch.

3 Likes

Nice. I almost got that switch recently, but went with the 12+4 switch from Ubiquiti instead.

2 Likes

red-fam_575px

As long as we can trust WD, they dont make 8tb smr drives

2 Likes

I am using an SSD for cache and an SSD for logs. I have 6 8TB drives in 3 mirrored vdev’s.

2 Likes

Hello!
I’m trying to install a proxmox on a Gigabyte 570 gaming X, but it gives an error that WATCHDOG HW DISABLED and aborts the installation.
How did you set up the BIOS?

I turned off secure boot

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.