Build Update Featuring: Fractal Design ERA ITX

Hey guys, just a quick one really, I was wondering if anyone could provide some input, I’m thinking on building a pretty small ITX/SFX system. I’d like to start by stating the following:

• I can’t stand RGB.
  • I’d rather not have glass side pannels.

Now that we’ve got that outta the way, I’d like to start by stating that I’m thinking on using the Fractal Design Era case. What’s your input?

Of course, I’ve watched the L1 review in the case, thank you for that @wendell! :+1:

I’m currently using the good ol’ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case, but I’m looking to go smaller. I would go as small as the Dan A4, however, having built in the RVZ02 & monitored temps extensively, I can honestly say that I’d be constantly paranoid about the temps in such a small case.

I’d like to state that of all the things that I’d worry about, it would be the temps on the SSD’s, in the RVZ02, while it’s a pretty cool case & I love how much stuff you can fit in there, etc. It did basically fry my 2.5" SSD’s, the heat from the GPU was essentially just radiating onto the panel where the SSD’s attach to, I saw my SSD’s get into the 70’s while gaming. Hence why I decided to shift to the Enthoo Evolv.

I was just wondering if anyone has built in this case & had similar issues to what I had with the RVZ02?

Having done research around what I could get, I’d like to state that I’m not trying to get the best bang for my buck or anything like that, I’m just looking for a great power house in a very small form factor. This setup will primarily be used as a workstation rather than a gaming machine, at most I’m a casual gamer really, although I do like to play at 1440p goodness!

I’d like to clarify that I wouldn’t bother with those exact specs, they’re only there to give you guys an idea, in reality, I think I’d probably go for something a little different. I may end up waiting until the next gen of GPU’s hit the market, since Intel’s 10th gen CPU’s are out, I’m sure y’get my point, it would be a bit silly to update my build right now.

So without rambling on too much more, let me know what you guys think of that build? - Can you foresee any issues? Have you done a similar build? Any gotchas? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Im partial the Ncase M1 for ITX or Cerberus if you want a bit more room (note I have both of them)

CL520/CL530 from Sliger are good options too (not sure how well UK shipping would be on their stuff)

I have 100% thought about this case, seems like a pretty damn good choice to be fair. Have you ever had any issues in this case? :slightly_smiling_face:

Also a bloody good case! - It is without a doubt a solid option.

That is something I’ve wondered when looking at some of their products online! :joy: … I can always enquire I guess!

Some issues with most GPUs being taller now a days but length wise not at all. (I only ever did 1 build in it but have swapped gpus a few times. Its going to be my VR box (5820k not sure on gpu yet tho currently has anemic 970 but index hasnt shipped yet so i still have time)

I’m very conscious of that, I’ve been trying to look at the slimmer/smaller GPU’s on the market, I mean I’d imagine the ITX 2070 would near enough always fit? - I mean it’s still a pretty good card, I’m not into 4k gaming, I’d imagine it should suffice for the most part.

There are 100% cards that will fit in almost every segment, its just that a lot of cards go up these days and ncase doesnt have a ton of room (you have to remember gpu power cables add more height on the gpu)

Very true indeed ol’ chap, I think I’d even consider custom cables, maybe try to get my hands on some right angle connections… As I’ve said, I’m not going for the best bang for the buck! :smile:

I’m pretty certain that even a 2080 can easily fit in the Era, realistically I wouldn’t bother with the ti, I probably wouldn’t even take full advantage of the 2080, never-mind the ti! :joy:

1 Like

Never gonna be a thing if you go small, its expected to pay more for literally nothing and even less performance some times (thermal issues can be a thing)

1 Like

Yeah… That’s a very good point to be fair… SFX is not for those with a tight budget, sucks for people who have a very limited budget… But it is what it is I guess? :man_shrugging:

Another option that is basically ncase with some updates not sure if I/O has chagned as i have had mine for years is the Lian-li pc-tu150 (bit bigger to i think) Seems like Ncase has done some IO upgrade and some other changes

I actually forgot that they make an option without a glass side pannel… But yes, that is another option! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks smart & one big plus is that you can fit big tower coolers in there, I’ve seen a build where they fit a Noctua NH-D15 which is just crazy for the size! :joy:

With the glass panel, pretty much all you could see was the CPU cooler & the back panel of the GPU, it was pretty awesome to be fair!

Yeah Lian-Li is my current case (God I have a problem with cases my last few cases were two different case labs, cerberus and my current lian li) they are top notch imo and once you have a premium case its hard to go back, like I have a Mesify C and even tho its good build quality going down to that tier you can tell the difference.

To be fair, I can totally appreciate that, I think that general rule applies for most hardware though?

Even with a monitor as an example, previously I was using some seriously budget 1080p monitors, I switched them out for a single 1440p monitor, I have no regret about that. The worst part is that they weren’t even half decent 1080p monitors, they were serious budget ones, I’m talking £70 for a single monitor, lol…

My biggest thing is with a keyboard though, if I’m typing of a cheap keyboard, I will 100% have a bad time… :joy: … It doesn’t have to be mechanical, I’m currently using a wireless keyboard, the Logitech K780, long story short, I need a Bluetooth connected keyboard & mouse, it’s a long story, work related, but thankfully it’s a pretty decent keyboard, although I am tempted to treat myself to the MX Keys.

Speaking of which, I have gone off topic massively here, but do you have a good recommendation for a wireless mouse? I cannot stand the look of a lot of gaming mice, if it’s subtle, I don’t mind too much. I need a new mouse because my current mouse is being very temperamental.

I’ve been thinking about:

• Logitech G703
  • Logitech MX Master 3
  • Razer Basilisk X
  • Razer Mamba Wireless
1 Like

Havent messed with too many wireless mice, last one was Logitech G602 and its my travel mouse. I honestly am not to picky on mice. Things that bother me is scroll wheel style (i dont like the free spin ones) and shape. Not a huge fan of razor mice as the glued on grip pannel on one I had before came off and I had to reglue it (only one ever to do that on me). I like Mionix but idk if they have a wireless

1 Like

I totally forgot about this brand, a friend of mine has one, it feels so nice to use… If I didn’t need it to work via Bluetooth, I probably would say screw it & just stick with my Ducky keyboard & maybe go for a Mionix mouse.

@mutation666 looking at this build, it looks like a beastly little system, AIO for the CPU & GPU, nice!

I decided to say screw it & go full out with the specs! :joy: … I found a 2080ti that only takes up 2 PCI slots, I read the specs sheet for that specific GPU, awesome stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.