[Build Log] Virtualizing all the things on a Ryzen 9 3900X

Part 1: Impetus and Part List

Welp, I had been moving toward hyper-convergence with a beefy LGA2011-3 motherboard and a 14-core 2680v4, but I had a change of heart. I guess I prefer “dumb” fileservers that run ZFS and export network shares and not much else. I was running out of PCIe expansion slots and lanes—with several expansion cards running downgraded and/or through the PCH. I’d also grown disappointed with the lightly-threaded CPU performance of Broadwell.

I had containers and VMs running kind of haphazardly across my homelab and I was feeling pressure to consolidate and optimize. I started thinking about what I wanted to do and what I had to work with. First I had to pull out from the fileserver the SSD-backed zpool for VM images, the GPU and scratch disk for Plex, and a few other odds and ends. That along with my spare parts bin gave me an initial part list:

• Ryzen 9 3900X
  • 2x32GB DDR4-3200 CL22 ECC UDIMMs
  • 4x500GB SATA SSDs (zpool for VM images)
  • NVIDIA Quadro P620 2GB (Plex)
  • 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD (Plex)
  • 256GB SATA DOM w/ pin 8 power
  • Intel X520-DA2
  • Renesas USB 3.0 controller
  • Noctua NH-U9DX i4 3U

I happened to have a 3900X on hand that I had just pulled from a build. Dual-CCD Ryzen 3000-series processors are ideal for virt because they give you four discrete L3$ regions to play with. You can significantly reduce cache misses and flushes by pinning a VM to some cores within an L3$ region and isolating it from the host and other VMs. (Or at least that’s how I understand it.) Other nice-to-haves include PCIe Gen4 support, relatively-low power consumption (especially in ECO mode), and great IPC.

I decided to build in the Fractal Define 7 Mini to accommodate the 3U tower cooler, give me lots of expansion options, and sit comfortably next to my 6U network rack. X570 is the only AM4 chipset with consistently-usable IOMMU groupings, and I wanted something with a BMC and an onboard NIC with SR-IOV support. Unfortunately, the only ATX (micro or otherwise) board that met all those requirements was the ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T, which was effectively not available at the time. The X570D4U non-2L2T wasn’t much better with an eye-watering retail price of $400 at Newegg.

I tried to figure out if I could make the X470D4U work to save a few bucks, but it had too many compromises. Apparently a lot of the PCH-attached devices get lumped together in fewer IOMMU groups, cooler compatibility is poor, the SATA DOM port doesn’t supply pin 8 power, I’d lose PCIe Gen4 support, and the M.2 slots are extremely limited. Then I thought about using a sub-$200 consumer X570M board along with a Pi-KVM, but the Pi-KVM was going to cost at least $190 to build even though I already had a Pi 4 on hand.

So I bent down, grabbed my ankles, and bought the X570D4U from Newegg. I still don’t feel great about it. :joy: Stay tuned for Part 2!

1 Like

GL, i went through a similar thought experiment with my 5900x and I came to the same conclusion that without the right ASrock board and the 10g networking it was just too difficult to turn it into what I want.

My current plan, which will probably change is…
Upgrade to AM5
x570 Gigabyte mobo goes to kid 1
buy 5600x cpu
buy X570D4U-2L2T

decommission older Xeon L5630’s

I just dont want to have to use a PCIe slot for networking so its the 2L2T or bust.

1 Like

It’s a double-whammy because not only do you not get the onboard dual 10GbE NIC, but the Gen3 x4 link that it takes on the 2L2T isn’t wired up anywhere on the non-2L2T. The traces run to empty pads! It would have been nice of them to take those PCH lanes and make the x1 slot an x4 slot on the non-2L2T version, or put an OCuLink port or something in the dead space where the X550 chip and ports would otherwise go. They clearly decided to only make one PCB for all the variants, which really stinks at this price point.

wonder if we can just buy the x550 chip and solder it on :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.