Return to

BUILD LOG: Passively Cooled (sorta) ITX system in an Old GE Delta Radio Enclosure


the best ventilation is a blower fan on the floor and on the ceiling.( old heat pump fans work well)

1 Like


My preliminary idea for the paint booth is this:

I’m a little worried about over pressuring the booth and all the paint and blast media being pushed out seams instead of through the exit filter. Maybe reverse the airflow, the fan pulling? I may have access to an old furnace blower too.



When you are really worried about overpressure, you could just add a second outlet airfilter.



That’s risks pulling in dust. Positive pressure is the way to go.



Ugh. Not making much progress lately. House is just so much work.

I tried the Speed Blaster thing. It works OK, but it really needs to be used outside. And I probably need a bigger air compressor. But using it in my ghetto paint booth was just a disaster. I didn’t get any air circulation done, just draped another piece of plastic over the open side in the above picture. Didn’t get out into my basement, but the booth filled up with dust so fast I couldn’t see.

So, hopefully this weekend, I will stop by a welding place in the town my house is in and see if he has a sandblasting setup I can use or rent. Or pay him to do it. Apparently he does all the driveway plowing for everyone in the town, so I need to talk to him about that too.

Oh, and unfortunately the case that had the crack through it broke again. I had tried to fix it with JB Weld, but it didn’t hold. The case is warped anyway, and a small crack has appeared at the IO cutout. Very expensive hunk of metal now. Bummed.



Welp. I haven’t given up on this project. I have, however, reached the point where I don’t want to dump more money into it.

I took both cases to the welding guy. The one case had a failed application of Cerakote. The other one is cracked. He said he couldn’t weld the broken case. He sand blasted the other case, and it looked very nice. I took it to my house and gave it a new coat of Cerakote.

I mixed the Cerakote with a magnetic stirrer. I am positive I got the ratio right this time:

I used the same paint sprayer and convection oven from last time:

And it still came out yellow:

After some frustrated research, I figured out that white Cerakote will turn yellow like that because of three reasons: the mix ratio was wrong, the heat was too high, or it was heated for too long.

I am very confident the mix ratio was good, and it was mixed very well. I had it in the convection oven for exactly one hour, which is what was required. So that leaves too high of heat. So the convection oven is garbage and was hotter than 300 degrees.

So, after much thought, I just sanded most of the case down again (not having it sand blasted again, very expensive) and sprayed it with this:

Which gave me this:

It’s not the greatest, and I definitely should have used an etching primer first, but it looks good.

Tomorrow I will sand it a bit and give it one last coat. Then I have to cobble together some kind of mount for the resevoir. Then I can put the motherboard and waterblocks back in. Then I have to find some nice feet and the bottom cover.

I took the water loop apart, as it started turning green in the tubing. Need new tubing.

I thought for a brief moment that I should try hard tubing. Then I remembered how expensive all those low profile fittings were and that I want to stop throwing money at this.