Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB
Case: Corsair - Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified
Case Fan: 6x Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM
CableMod PRO ModMesh C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit Black/White
Vortex Vibe Chery MX Blue

I put this together to add to my Folding@Home power for LTT’s Folding Month. It consists of a CPU and GPUs I already had. After I posted some early photos on Reddit, someone contacted me wanting to trade my 2x GTX 1080s for an unopened 2080. This was ideal since it’s more PPD than both cards while drawing less power. In the dual 1080 form, GPU temps were around 79 and 83 degrees for the hotter card. This is fine since all it does it sit there and run Folding@Home.

Things I loved about the build:

1. Dual chamber cases are just a joy to build in. There are SO MANY tie down points in the back and room to run everything. Makes the fact that the board is larger than most mATX boards not really a big deal.
  2. This board really makes use of the extra space. Plenty of fan headers in convenient spots.
  3. No RGB light show to upstage the components. I like a good RGB build, but sometimes you just want to admire the components. Really enjoyed focusing more on the aesthetics of the components than lights.

Challenges:

1. This board is big! It covers almost all of the grommet holes. This made it so that I needed to be very careful when running things. A lot of cables needed to be run underneath the board, so it wasn’t screwed in until I was confident about the position of everything. All in all, it was pretty easy, but still a fun challenge to route everything.
  2. I had to order a whole bunch of fans to get them all the same color. Didn’t realize there was so much variation among the Noctua Redux fans. Some were REALLY dark and almost green.

All in all this build was a breeze. Really like the Asus OC card. No LEDs at all and it’s got an interesting pattern on the backplate. It’s odd that it’s so thick, but skinnier width wise than the STRIX cards. Guess it made sense tooling wise.

This PC generates almost 2 Million PPD in folding GPU+CPU. I’ll let it fold through the winter, then repurposed it. Plenty of power to do anything else I may need later on.

14 Likes

Saw this on PCPP. I was gonna say…

WAY BETTER than the Verge build.

2 Likes

Damn, the whole theme, from the case, to the internals, to the keyboard, is really well done.

10/10 would buy above retail.

1 Like

Hah! I completely forgot that this was the infamous case The Verge used.
I did get one thing from that video, I used a table instead of building it on wet grass this time.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Still waiting for iFixit to release the TableTM

1 Like

Now show us the cable management in the back!

Soon as I figure out if I’m keeping this exact config. It’s not a mess or anything since there’s so few cables, just nothing is tied down yet.

1 Like

PCPP just featured you! :smiley:

one week

Woohoo! That makes the 4th build in a row!

1 Like

What camera do you use? I often think that’s an important component that’s skipped in art like this.

Inb4 iPhone/Galaxy :grin: :wink:

1 Like

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and for this shoot the 50mm f/1.2 L

3 Likes

Oh thank Christ. If you were going to say a phone I was going to cry :joy:

That’s awesome! Those Canon’s are serious beasts. Been looking at getting into something like that for content creation. Your pictures definitely helped influence that decision.

Hah! No. Phone cameras are terrible for stuff like this. Between the noise and the way it tries to compensate for noise… I’d rather hand draw it… and I suck at that.

This was taken w/ my phone and yeah. Phones just don’t do it for me.

Thank you!

3 Likes

6 Likes

I got a good chuckle out of the fans directly feeding the GPU. Also, that’s one hell of a cooler. Is that a 4 slot card?

1 Like

It claims to be 2.7, but nothing is fitting under there. Seems more like 3.2.

2 Likes

Ah, well, I guess you need a beefy cooler for that gpu.

I feel like the top front fan is not helping thermals, its pulling out all the air from the front fan starving the cpu cooler of the cool front air imo. Might be better to remove both the fans on the top

1 Like