[Build Log] Chīsai - Compact, Small Form Factor Workstation /s

The motherboard heatsink does a nice job with cooling. I didn’t expect it to be so close to the chunk of copper Gigabyte heatsink.
Idle temps are lower with the Gigabyte heatsinks, but load temps are lower over time with the mobo heatsink. Seems like it’s either the larger surface area or the mobo is sharing some of the cooling from the chipset fan.

[ Note : I have the Gigabyte drives under the mobo heatsink, and the MP600s in the copper Gigabyte heatsinks. There was some reshuffling when I discovered there wasn’t enough clearance for the DIMM.2 and I had to cut away some of the PCB and remove the Asus heatsink. I was using the MP600 heatsinks in my server rack, so I put on the Gigabyte ones.]

2 Likes

For some reason, I imagined you saying this in Tay Zonde’s voice. I move away from the mic so you can’t hear me breathe.

I can’t really wrap my brain around that lol. Makes me laugh though.

Arts & Crafts day!

Before:

0G1A9701.thumb.jpg.8daa26e34635fe026eaa72f07671a99d.jpg

After:

3P7A8278-Edit.thumb.jpg.b51d967c86e6e3dc98f4381af022726c.jpg

It’s darker in person, just needed to wait for it to dry to wipe the baking soda off.

This was blackened using liver of sulfur gel. It stinks, (literally) but the results are worth it!

1 Like

My favorite thing ever just happened lol…

2 Likes

I don’t think there is anything higher to achieve than someone ripping of your work.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s happened already. This popped up a week after my build. They previously had a whole different layout and RGB fans.

1 Like

Finally finished moving into this build as my daily driver. I had been using it in tandem with my previous build, but finally shut that one down for good.

One of the major reasons was not wanting to move my 8TBs of local storage into this build. The AMD RAID driver was buggy as hell and generally a bad time to deal with. Got a killer deal on another rackmount QNAP, so I set that up with a bunch of IronWolf Pros and created a snapshot enabled iSCSI (which will later this year be Fibre Channel).

Took a while to initialize and get everything moved over, but it’s finally done! Was also a good time to move some older stuff to my archival NAS.

Rebuilding the preview and RAW caches has started now and boy is it already using the power of this new system:

Nice to be on a fresh OS. I’d been putting off doing a clean install on the old system since I knew I was moving soon. Everything feels like it works again lol.

1 Like

Swapped out the 128GB kit for a 256GB kit.
It was $400 off because someone returned it for nothing being compatible with their system.

Chīsai has officially been decommissioned.

Replacement build log in the works.

2 Likes

Planning in advance for Threadripper 5000?

Kiiiiiiiind of. I had to replace the mobo because PCIe devices were just disappearing. In its new form though, it will certainly be a ton easier to replace the CPU (and mobo though I really hope we don’t have to).

Nice. Going for the Extreme Alpha?

mhmm

2 Likes

Annnnnnnnnnd its replacement is complete.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.