[Build Log] Blink

Gigabyte have replied telling me to RMA the whole board to Amazon…

I’m going to push to just get that part replaced.

1 Like

It’s annoying that they needed a fan in the first place.

Worst case, I bodge on a cheap chipset heatsink, or source a replacement fan.

I’ve just told them I need the computer for work, so hopefully they’ll be sympathetic.

2 Likes

If they went for a real heatsink instead of “codesigned by Fisherprice”, they would not need a fan.

Should not be hard to find a 15 or even 20W rated heatsink. Maybe not in PC hardware, but in electronics.

2 Likes

Issue is height of one of those 15-20w coolers that are passive

Not using the M.2 on the front right now, I technically have 130mm of space haha

Okay, so the fan splitter I ordered turned up today. CPU temps are 10°C lower in multiple Cinebench R20 runs than yesterday with only the top fan running (maxing at about 72°C, instead of 82°C). The bottom fan is also providing enough airflow to keep the chipset decently cooled, so it stays at about 60°C. Unfortunately, you can’t set a custom fan curve for the chipset fan, and the silent profile turns it on at about 60°C, which means it just ends up turning off and on quite often.

Agreed. It should look like they designed it in sim city.

4 Likes

Been running memtest for 25 minutes with no errors on 3400MT/s CL14 1.39V, so that’s nice.

I’ll take this as okay.

Ryzen memory calculator listed tighter timings for tRFC and tRC, which I just left on auto. I’ll try with the manual values tomorrow.

4 Likes

Man that I/O. What’s up with all the mainboards now only having like 4 USB ports? Maybe 6 if you’re lucky.

2 Likes

In the RGB vs I/O meeting, the RGB guys had free hookers as an argument.

5 Likes

Fffffff

1 Like

You could jerryrig your own fan + heatsink there? 40mm fan and small heatsink maybe? :thinking:

Not sure if worth the hassle though.

Taking the old one off entirely will require taking the motherboard out of the case, so I guess I’m taking everything apart and RMAing the board.

Amazon can’t send a replacement before I return the old one. I’ll just deal with it for a few days.

Ask for a coupon or for some monies to be refunded

1 Like

That’s completely ridiculous.

1 Like

I’ve gotten Advance RMA’s from Amazon before. Just call em up and say “business use, just put a hold on my CC”

1 Like

Heres a few pre-cable management shots before I take out the motherboard.

THE CULPRIT IN ACTION

9 Likes

I kind of like that little case.

2 Likes

Rear intake? That’s not a common design.

1 Like

Meant to be the out take, but the only vents are some tiny things at the front, so thought I’d flip it and have the power supply exhausting most stuff.

1 Like