Well, decided to run this build log here for the apartment as I explore networking and security.
I did run into a small hiccup in my network in my office. I was limited to 100mbs (Fast ethernet) speeds… I had to do some digging through my network interfaces, devices, cables etc… Turns out it was a “Fast ethernet” run to one of the network ports in my office. I wondered why there was two cable and ethernet ports in each room… seems that it was originally wired for fast ethernet…then instead of replacing the cable with better cat 5e, they installed new ports… on opposite sides of the rooms. I got lucky in the livingroom I guess with placement of my TV, but not so much with the placement of the desk in my office…lol 50/50 shot.
I now have to limbo beneath a ethernet cable…lol
I discovered this when I was using my main pc for game updates and downloads. I only have 100/120mbs down to 10mbs up connection. I noticed when I tried to run plex and stream a video it wouldn’t buffer and was stuttering. This is what got me looking into a problem. I knew my gear was all at least 1G, so I went snooping for the problem.