[Build Log] Apartment Network and Security PLUS RANTS

Also… POWER UPDATE…

The maintenance man came in and saw my office and told me (I will see if I can talk them into installing a different 20 AMP breaker."

I got a email later that day that I was “Over Loading the circuit” and they will not modify it… fml

I wrote back…I had to restrain myself from doing the calculations for Ohm’s Law of what I would need to be doing to trip a breaker…I refrained and nicely asked them to just swap the two breakers for the bedroom and my office to see if thats the issue… No reply…

Time to take matters into my own hands…

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :skull_and_crossbones: :poop:

3 Likes

I saw that one too…

I gave it a shot… results:

rsync: ACLs are not supported on this server
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1449) [server=3.0.7]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]

???

Something with Access Control Lists (ACL) has me at a loss…

1 Like

Yes, it’s the parameter(s) I used in -varoglAX. Just remove the A and the X, so you will be left with rsync -varogl and it should work. -A is related to ACLs and -X to extended attributes. When in doubt, man rsync. :wink:

2 Likes

So close now I need to verify the file structure it seems

sending incremental file list
rsync: mkdir "/Public/BUpiTEST" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(600) [Receiver=3.0.7]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (150 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]

SSHed into my WD Cloud Now I need to investigate…

BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-10-30 15:26:14 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

root@HaaStyleCloud root # ls
root@HaaStyleCloud root # help
Built-in commands:

. : [ [[ alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec
    exit export false fg getopts hash help jobs kill local printf
    pwd read readonly return set shift source test times trap true
    type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

Reviewing this…

Actually I was able to get into root of the WD…so exploring the structure of the file system

1 Like

This indicated that the folder “/Public” doesn’t exist (or its path is mounted elsewhere). Try finding it, it’s usually in either /mnt or /media. If the BusyBox on your WD NAS is anything resembling classic Linux, then you should find it the HDD mounting point using: cat /etc/fstab or cat /proc/mounts. Finally, if all else fails and you know that BUpiTEST exists, then use find to search your whole root for the folder:

find / -type d -name "BUpiTEST" ! -path /dev ! -path /proc ! -path /sys

Edit: it will take a long time, so be patient with it.

2 Likes

I actually navigated it manually once I got to root… and the WD resource above was right about the structure. /mnt/HD/HD_a2 is the base to get to the structure you interact with through the software IE the “Public” folder and others you create… it is backing up NOW!!!

THANK YOU ALL… My first script AND rsync!!! YAHOOOO There seems to be some errors though.

sent 1,505,462,908 bytes  received 3,559,070 bytes  6,097,058.50 bytes/sec
total size is 1,595,928,174  speedup is 1.06
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1207) [sender=3.1.3]

And its much larger than that…hummm… 9GB and still growing humm…I gave up after a hour and 32gb… I’ll check tomorrow…

I may move on to making a lower power file server in the Fractal Node 304.

I’d like to save the pcie slot for a 10g nic for faster backups… this means I’ll need a APU instead of a CPU.

I’m considering a A10 or Athelon if that will be enough to power a TrueNAS system. It has to be compatable with a x470 chipset because that’s what I have. I planed to use a m.2 slot to add 5 sata ports to the 4 already on the board. I have 6 8TB Exos drives.

This would allow me to do some more with storage and a few things with proxmox maybe…This would replace the Dell t420 server… for now with the power problem as it is.

Just brain storming…

3 Likes

surely not needed for your pi; what other systems would you like to backup?

Now that you’re scripting. On your Pi, you could build an exclude list for rsync that will contain files belonging to packages that have not changed - and are therefore not worth backing up.
On Debian based systems you can use a combination of dpkg and debsums to build that exclude list.

2 Likes

Oh sweet… See this is why I like Linux… you can really control everything…and if you can think it you can probably do it given enough knowledge… I had a crazy good idea yesterday, but its gone now and didnt write it down. lol

Yeah, my first rsync may have been a failure? Something happened to the files where when I open the properties of the folder to get it’s size (either Win or Linux) the folder is infinitly large… I left a pc on last night to check size… it was 78TB…yes TB and growing this am…

Any ideas?

2 Likes

I don’t think you have 78TB of storage space, however, somewhere in the Linux filesystem in the back, there has to be a recursive symbolic link, so when trying to get the size of all files, it will go through the same folder again and again ad nauseam.

We used the rsync -l (lower case L) option to copy symlinks instead of the files they point to (so you don’t get the same file twice), but there might be some issue somewhere, like imagine if there is the folder /home/user and inside it, there is a /home/user/home symlink that points to → /home/user, so once you reach that, you will go up to the folder, down again, recursively. You can find all the symlinks in a folder by using find /path/to/folder -type l (lower case L).

2 Likes

I will be looking into this today. I also may look into a image based backup I can just burn to a new SD if needed…could be easier? Well probably not because I’m looking for automation and less involvement of myself to be more efficient.

1 Like

The data is safe on your WD NAS and should work if you rsync it back. It’s just that the way it is presented to other devices (usually if it’s Samba, but may happen to webGUIs as well) is wrong because the software can’t account for recursive symlinks.

2 Likes

Yeah it read the size fine for the total size of the WD drive (only 2 6tb mirriored). It’s only when I try to get the info of the folder I saved it to. I’ll try to copy it to a SD and see if it fills up or not for giggles.

1 Like

If you copy over an SD card via a Windows machine or a SMB mount in Linux, it will fill up. In order to do it normally, you have to insert the SD in your WD NAS, mount the SD and rsync the files from your backup location to the SD. So it would look like:

mount /dev/mmcblkSD-CARD-NUMBER /mnt/ext-mount-location
rsync -varogl /mnt/HD/HD_a2/BUpiTEST /mnt/ext-mount-location/

Or something like this.

You may also be interested in Ubuntu / Debian auto-update for servers (safe upgrade):

2 Likes

Time to rent/lease a house or part of a house :slight_smile: The maintenance man seems to be on your side :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I solved my power “problem”… don’t think the wife will be onboard… lol “it’ll catch fire!!!” LOL I can hear it already…lol

Oh files too big lol… I ran an extension cord to the bathroom with a heavy duty wire and a surge protector… no issues so far lol

Well one pic worked lol.

7 Likes

I approve of your problem solving skills.

5 Likes

Maybe paint the cable brown and hope for the best :smile:

3 Likes

Well went over as well as I thought… but I was approved for a lower power psu… 1200w was a little excessive… 850w should be fine :laughing:

3 Likes

Side note: I bought a great new product-

59.99 on amazon.com

I had used the Curve 50 before and it was great. This new one with a “Signal Indicator” is just as great and gets better reception. I actually have both connected at the same time (Using equal length coax cables- Can cause ghosting and signal interference if too different of a length from my reading).

The indicator is really nice to find the best placement easier. Especially for me being on the bottom floor of a 3 story apartment building. I am very happy with it, and now get almost all the channels I used to get at the old house. They say the antennas are omni-directional, but you can always get a better signal if it is facing broadcast towers (Can look them up on a map to get an idea).

Eeeewwww, TV. Do you like watching commercials?

1 Like