Build home media server or use a Game Console with DLNA and/or Plex, which is better?

Upnp is actually needed for any game that uses more than one port. I’ve never owned a PS3 myself, however my Xbox One benefits greatly from upnp giving it an open nat.

Upnp is a way of automatically assigning ports with a given range so the network admin doesn’t need to manually assign ports to every new device or new game you play.

Maybe psn only uses one port like you said but upnp will always be necessary for true ‘hands-off networking’ until ipv6 is adopted

Well Hp185688, To answer your question which is the best storage technology just about any type of storage technology will work, the trick is setting up that technology correctly. Maybe it would help you get ideas if I were to share how I have my storage setup for my media server.

I have been using the Emby server and Plex for about 6 years. I mostly use Emby Server as my media server software for two reasons. I like the way the client app works on my Samsung Smart television. The other reason is Emby Server doesn’t need an Internet connection to work, Plex does. Also the reason I some times use Plex, Plex handles subtitles better than Emby Server. With Plex, setting up subtitles is more of an automatic (works out of the box ) setting up subtitles to work in Emby Server is a more manual operation than Plex. Now that I have described why I like Emby Server over Plex, I will get back to answering your question.

I have one desktop with one Large SSD which has my operating system ( Linux Mint ver 19.03), my programs, my media servers ( Emby Server and Plex), and my media files. I use my desktop to run my media servers. This way of running my media servers has worked very well for six years. I do plan on setting up some sort of raid solution when my media collection grows beyond the capacity of a single disk. I hope that answers part of your question. Now to answer your question how do you keep interlopers from corrupting your media servers file system.

Well, right now the only protection I have is none. I just convinced my mother we need to upgrade our network. So hopefully we will be getting a proper switch that supports VLANs soon. Ok now that I have established I have no protection, I will explain how I am going to fix that. First a list of the equipment I am going to purchase. You don’t need to purchase the same equipment, just using the list to give you an idea of what is needed.

Unfi AP HD for the new access point.
Edge switch 16 150W for the switch.
Pfsense appliance to act as a new router.

Ok, now to explain how I am going to implement all this equipment to make our house network more secure. Right now we only have the device provided by our Internet provider to control and access our network. We don’t have what I would call a proper switch (smart switch). By adding a smart switch I get the ability to take our main network and divide it into several different networks. This gives me the ability to isolate each network’s traffic from all the others. The only other network traffic each network would receive would originate from the internet and only if it was necessary. So by implementing this plan, I should reduce the risk of an individual destroying my media server network. I hope this paragraph gives you some ideas about how you would go about securing your media server. There are other ways you could add more security to your media server, but I don’t want to overwhelm you with other ways at first. If you have any more questions just ask. I will close this paragraph with one last thought. The best security is not about how to keep people off your network, but how to set up your network so it is so difficult to get access to your network’s bad actors will move on to easier targets.

The reason I plan on purchasing the Pfsense appliance is it gives me easier control over my future networks and allows me to set up my networks any way I like and not interfere with the other networks. The only reason I am purchasing an Unfi access point is that Pfsence doesn’t handle WIFI very well.

Yea, that’s looks like a nice switch.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.