Build help request

Hello, L1T! I’m looking for help with a new build. I’ve been a long time fan of the red team though I haven’t bothered to build a new PC in many years. I’m not too up to date on all the ins and outs. I’d love some assistance.

I want to get back into PC gaming, and I’ve always been an avid Linux user. I hear the current state of gaming on Linux has seen significant improvements in recent years. I’m a distro hopper for sure, but I really like Manjaro. Also, I have about 200GB of 2.7k 60FPS video files I’ve been procrastinating working on (traveling and other various videos) because I don’t have the greatest PC to. I do have some experience with shotcut, but there are a few issues it so I’m willing to try other software. Besides this, my PC usage is fairly normal low-end tasks.

I’m currently using the SO’s Win10 PC to post this, but I recently started a business and would love to have a dedicated high-end machine in the home office instead of hauling an old laptop around for normal clerical tasks in LibreOffice and management tasks via web browser.

I don’t need peripherals. I have a great 2560x1080 monitor, kboard, mouse, headset, cat6, display port cables… Don’t need any of that. I think I’m setting the budget at $2000 including the case, but that price can change if need be.

I love the design of the upcoming Dr Zaber Sentry. I realize this form factor is going to limit my choices, but I don’t see anything on the market that is comparable through my eyes. I’ve even reached out to (all my past PC’s have used this brand) Lian-Li and through a series messages I have found out that in may, Lian-Li is going to release a new mini ITX case. Unfortunately, they cannot give me dimensions or capacity because it is “still in development stages”. The one bit of information they did provide that was useful is that the case will be a cube shape. So, unfortunately not what I’m looking for…

I’v been scrolling through parts lists and this is basically what I’ve come up with.

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Air Boost 8G OC Video

Which sums up to around $1400 (not including the case)

I would love any tips on hardware changes and suggestions for a better video editing software. I haven’t done anything with Kdenlive but it interests me because spending that much on a GPU and not being able to use it with shotcut is kinda ridiculous.

Thank you!

1 Like

I haven’t done anything with Kdenlive but it interests me because spending that much on a GPU and not being able to use it with shotcut is kinda ridiculous.

Kdenlive on Linux currently performs best with Nvidia GPUs. I wish it weren’t the case, but it is. If you’re going to be making heavy use of video rendering, you may want to consider swapping out the AMDGPU for an Nvidia card.

Incidentally, this is the only use case where I’d ever recommend a Linux user not use AMDGPU.

It can be fixed with software in the future, but currently isn’t the best.

To make sure I understood you right:
You are looking for a small form factor allrounder?

Suggestion:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wrWtGG

ITX build arround the Ryzen7 2700, ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX and Gigabyte GTX 1660ti housed in a Silverstone RVZ01

Just make sure you have 2 8-pin connections and it will fit the small form factor case
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J7TPr6

this is basically my system, also no idea why pc partpicker doesn’t realize the rog VII has 2 NVME slots. The system is very stable and I have 0 issues with it other than ASUS not having RGB drivers for linux.

edit:

take what you want from this if you’re going SFF or whatnot.

I picked Sapphire because they supported L1 before and they have great support for AMD products.