Build Help/Advice (Budget $400-$550)

I have a very vague idea of what I'm doing, I know about PCPartPicker and I've seen several builds that fit my price range but I haven't the slightest idea on which makes the most sense and why.  If you guys could help me out that would be great. 

This is a possible build I slapped together by looking at other peoples' builds.

• CPU:  AMD A10-5800K  $109.99
  • Motherboard:  ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 (thanks jerm1027)  $59.99 
  • Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866  $79.99
  • Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM  $62.98
  • Case:  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  $64.99
  • Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V  $58.23
  • Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer  $17.98

It really depends on what you're doing with the computer. As it stands, it looks like a solid entry-level gaming cuild with room to expand in the future.

Personally, I'd up the motherboard to an ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M. You get a little bit more expandability, and some VRM cooling for more effective overclocking.

Alright, thanks man.  I hadn't even looked at that one and now I see that I can ultimately get twice the RAM with that motherboard for $1.42 more.

Personally, I steer towards a full ATX board.  Performance wise, I don't think there is much difference, but for upgrading and such there is usually a bit more space.  But that's just me.  Really, it looks like a fine build.  The Trinity is a great APU for budget builds ;)

For $550 you can get this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10S8M

That APU can barely run Borderlands 2 (20 fps @ 1080p). But if you are fine with 720p go for it :) I just don't know how much longer it will be able to handle 720p.

well, that's to be expected from the APU. The inetgrated graphics is roughly the same speed as a 6670, depending on RAM.  While looking at the graphics alone, it's not very impressive, but considering the whole package and the cost, is quite the value, just about unbeatable if you put it in perspective. With a 500w PSU, the OP can easily upgrade to say a 7870 down the road if he wants. The two piledriver modules (4 cores) should be suffiecient for gaming for quite a bit, especially if overclocked. And how much are you really expecting for such a budget oriented build (proposed build is <$455)? And your proposed build, while faster initially, goes over budget BEFORE shipping and taxes, while also closing easy upgrade paths. Not to mention the $120+ savings, he'd already be halfway for a 7870, which will be faster than your proposed build by a landslide, while not requiring the initial investment.

Your build isn't necessarily a bad idea, in fact rather good for a sub $600 bulid, but just keep purpose and budget in perspective. :)

Good points jerm!