Build advice. i3 vs fx 6300 vs what u guys recommend

Over freaking kill...
The performance difference is astonishing even if you get 64GB for the OS only...
All people really need for comfortable every day use and some gaming and stuff is 120GB for the OS amd the software like players amd browser and Skype amd if you use Adobe creative shite etc, and a huge hard drive for storage... And you are set. Your system is going to be way more snappier and more capable than one with HDD only. I have 64 gigs and there is a difference...

For LoL go Intel. League of Legends really likes cpu single thread power that the AMD lacks, saving power even though its going to be negliable, and heat that the amd loves to generate and is crap at tolerating heat. As for overclocking is not worth over the time and gains is not worth it imho.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/YngGmG

1 Like

I agree with this.
The skylake i3 gives you way better upgrade path.
And next to that, wenn it comes to LoL this game realy likes per core performance.
So to me the i3 skylake is the most obvious choice aswell.

I've saved enough on CPU's over the last 5+ years using AMD that I can easily justify to myself getting a nice 12 or 16 core Zen when it's finally out.

AMD is acceptable for gaming, and 6 core will be nice for everything else too.

If you're going budget build like this you might as well get most bang for your buck now and not bother getting more expensive low tier Intel parts you'll want to replace later anyway.

I am still holding out on a 4 core Phenom II while waiting for Zen. My bottleneck continues to be GPU not CPU. I just recently threw in a Nvidia 960 and am playing and developing games at 4k 60 FPS without issues.

Intel switches sockets every year, it's not likely you'll be able to take advantage of an "upgrade path" anyway.

At least with AMD you're saving the money and know you'll have to switch everything out eventually for the Zen socket anyway.

1 Like

I've been super stoked with my i3 4170, but a nice amd would be good too. It depends on what you're looking for. A 6100 will be much less hands on, so if you want to tinker, go for the amd

The only way to have an upgrade path with a modern processor is just to buy a second hand top of the line processor from the same generation. In other words, getting a cheap motherboard to go with the 6100 and then getting a fancy motherboard for his future 77xx or 87xx makes way more sense from a performance-per-cost perspective.

I mean, unless you're advocating him doing just that. I do know that a lot of people have great success with their 2600 at 5 ghz, because the generations are so close together now.

But if he wants his future upgrade to have new hardware, spending money on this generation is a waste.

your a star :)