[BUG] Pos1 (home) key does not scroll up to the top in forum search results view

Symptoms:

• Pos1 (home) key does not scroll up to the top in forum search results view
  • the search results view is where i first encountered this unexpected behaviour - it might exist in other views too

Expected behaviour:

• Pos1 (home) key does scroll up to the top in any view

Request:

• Make Pos1 (home) key scroll up to the top in any view

Context:

• fully patched and updated (as of 2017-11-30 20:15 UTC) Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS with latest Firefox Quantum (57.0)
1 Like

Hm… works for me in Vivaldi 1.14.1030.3 and Firefox 57.0.1 on Windows.
Don’t have a linux install currently around, but maybe a keymap issue?

Tried on
Firefox 57.0 and 57.0.1
OpenSuSE Tumbleweed 20171125
kernel 4.14.1-1-default ( not like it matters but why not include it as well )

The symptoms observed in your case could NOT be reproduced. Please check if it your home button works.

1 Like

Browser: Chrome 64.0.3280.0
Result: Both HOME and END keys do work on “Search Results” page

hmm, might be an edge case, i have another thread view tab open, Pos1 and End works fine there
…further investigation on search results page …double-checking my add-ons
…NoScript: all “trusted” (wow, mostly level1techs.com, some gstatic.com[trusted too] …thank you)
…uBlock: none blocked

What have i done:

• middle click on forum logo, opens forum home page in new tab, click magnifying glass icon, enter “usb switch”, enter, wait until loaded (~5s), press End key, my avatar is being highlighted (CSS dotted outline)
  • then force-reload search results page, via Ctrl-F5, wait until browser loading indicator disappears, End key properly scrolls down, additional list items are being AJAXed, Pos1 key properly scrolls up to the top, End key scrolls down and AJAXes even more

On the other hand:

• when i do the middle-click new tab scenario, wait until the search results page is loaded, and then 1st click (focus) the background image, off to the far right, near the scroll bar, then press End…proper scroll down, Pos1…proper scroll up

Maybe:

• there is a focussed element (tab index) issue?
  • or you JS DOM manipulation might have caused the BODY element to collapse to (near) zero (or less than viewport / browser window) height, despite of all the content …i’ve encountered that weird kind of bug in a project before, a few years ago …i think i solved it by appending an empty(?, not sure, maybe it had a nbsp or a br inside) element with “clear: both;” at the end of, and maybe even after, relevant content wrappers

Oh, and:

• i’m on a 1080p screen at 120% zoom
  • i’m sure this is not a feature, a minor nuisance though
  • as far as i’m concerned, it’s a weird quirk i can get used to …your forum UI / UX has been gorgeous so far …i love what you do with opacity and the fadeOutHighlight() thing :two_hearts:
  • holey cheeses! …and look how quickly your emoji selector box populates, Twitter should take your performance as a benchmark to beat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 cases for me:

1. logged in:
  2. not logged in
    • random link is focused(?). It doesn’t seem to consistently focus the same link.

Scroll doesn’t work in either case. Firefox only, Vivaldi is fine.

Doesn’t work for me in that case. No amount of clicking seems to make it work in that case.
Cursor keys and Page Up/Down don’t work either by the way.
When I open and close the search function it works for me though.
It also works when I open right-click menu, use end there, close right-click via left-clicking somewhere, then use end to scroll.
My guess is that it doesn’t un-focus the search field properly and so you’re basically navigating inside a hidden field. But then it should work with clicking anywhere… weird.
/edit
Can’t be a focus on the search box because the element doesn’t exist when search is closed… weird.

Then again why did it work for me earlier o_O I guess because I just copied the URL from Vivaldi? Because then it works fine.

While testing it worked every one in a while trying to reproduce, no idea why.
It seems to be the case if you were in the same search before because then it will just load the cached version… Even when Ctrl+F5 the front page. Have to close the tab and re-open a new one to reproduce.

PS: also cannot reproduce while dev tools are open in Firefox :man_facepalming: It will not work for a few seconds and then start working out of the blue… so. yeah.

Hello there, i didn’t consider that one …maybe unrelated, but i learned something :+1:

Oh, right! I’ve been logged in all the time.