Budgie desktop

Anyone use this DE?

Curious about what you think? I’ve been using KDE but Budgie looks nice.

Yeah, it’s the default DE on Solus.

4 Likes

It is what got me excited about Linux again. Granted, I have Gnome on 85% of my workstations, but I was using 0% of Linux prior to that, with the occasional VM

1 Like

looks pretty cool ill give it a go along with solus down the road

Budgie is really good. Its taken the void that unity used to fill.

2 Likes

It’s pretty decent. It’s lacking in a few features I needed, but aside from that, it’s good.

What kind of features?

I’m debating on trying solus myself

1 Like

The window snapping was lacking, it also pretty much required using it on Solus to get the full feature set, and I’m a Fedora addict.

There were a few other minor gripes, but I forget them now. Haven’t used it in like 6 months.

Also, I’m wary of Solus without Ikey. It’s like if Ubuntu lost Shuttleworth.

currently im testing out Deepin on my blade stealth the DDE is my fave DE so far would recommend a looky

I used to use a customized budgie that tried to emulate the windows taskbar and start menu. I would have kept using budgie if it had a window tiling app built in when I was initially playing with DEs.

So when someone on gnome made the dash to panel shell extension, I immediately switched back to gnome, and used the dash to panel for the windows like menu and task bar and the shelltile extension for window tiling.

I might give budige another shot when they allow for gnome extensions or when they introduce a window tiling system

Gnome has made some good improvements lately. I have been toying with Manjaro Gnome lately for fun and quite like it. I might spend mroe time with Gnome in the future since it is so widely available.

My wife prefers it over Cinnamon. I still like KDE the best but I think I am going to play with Budgie soon. Not sure if I want to test out Arch w/ Budgie or just get Solus.

I have been doing some distro hoping as of late as I try and figure out what I want to stick with long term.

Part of me thinks I just need to go with what my wife wants because she is new to Linux and I need to be able to help her as fast as possible since I am the IT department at our house as we run two different businesses from home.

P.S. I just heard that there are some issues with Synology NAS machines(which I run). So be on the look out if you have one. I just wanted a plug and play since I had to get it mid year when I was really busy. Otherwise I would have done a FreeNAS machine.

I played arround with budgie a bit, and its basically a pretty nice desktop.
But for me it still feels too much Gnome 3 ish, also not very lightweight either.
Budgie is nice, but i think that Mate is a better desktop overall in that regards.
The raven menu is nice though.

1 Like

I’m not too worried about how much memory they use as both my wife’s and my own computer have 16gb of DDR4 3200 RAM. My wife is running a 2700 and I have the X variant since I got it on sale.

I have played with Xfce when I jail broke my chromebook and loaded Linux on it and was impressed that my low powered laptop could run it as well as it did. However, I still was not able to do what I wanted with it.

There is a highly specialized program that I have to run for work and I couldn’t get it to work through Wine on the chromebook so I reverted it back to stock settings and just use Sheets to input my data and copy and paste it into the program in Windows.

I have a love/hate with Google. I love that I can have all my data available to me at anytime but I don’t like the tracking that Google does either. But at the same time I need to flag the location for my work sometimes so clients can visit the location when I am not available…