Budget X570 motherboard recommendation for VFIO?

After finding out that B550 is not gonna work, I’m now looking for a non-expensive (as much as it can be) X570 motherboard for VFIO.
CPU: Ryzen 5800X
GPU1: Nvidia GT210
GPU2 (passthrough): GTX970
I pass the GPU to the VM and sometimes I do “USB passthrough” (<hostdev mode="subsystem" type="usb" managed="yes">) for Logitech game controller to play certain games on Windows but I don’t think that requires separate IOMMU group for the USB controller.
Of course the NVME has to be in different IOMMU group than the main GPU because that is gonna be used on the host. Windows is installed on a virtual qcow2 drive so no need for passing that through.

I found a few threads in here but they are old (2019-2020) and for Ryzen 3000 and can’t really find a conclusive answer/recommendation.

Another thread recommended the X570 non-s Aorus Elite. Since you’re not pushing a 12 core, it should be good enough and you can even add a x1 NIC for passthrough, though keep in mind the lower x16 mechanical slot goes to the chipset.

The X570 Aorus Ultra has x8/x8 lane splitting, but since you’re using a GT 210, running that off of the chipset might be a better option.

I still recommend a discrete USB 3.0 controller if you want to use USB DACs from the VM. USB passthrough is not reliable for audio and video streaming like DACs and Webcams.

You want to stick to Gigabyte boards because they allow you to choose the initial display GPU slot. No other manufacturer does this.

1 Like

I guess I’m gonna buy that (X570 Aorus Elite). It’s the 2nd cheapest Gigabyte motherboard that’s in stock in my country.
I don’t need DAC or kb/mouse USB passthrough because I use Scream for audio and evdev for kb/mouse.
Thanks.

1 Like

What OS are you using? ESXI?
Just curious since i run VM’s with Vmware Workstation and I don’t see a way to directly pass through hardware. I can just setup hardware to not be installed in windows and then discover it in the VM.

Linux + KVM (qemu/libvirt).
I’m doing PCI passthrough for the GPU.

I didn’t realize PCI-E passthrough worked in regular Linux + KVM. I have to check this out now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.