Budget PC for World of Warcraft

It’s not because of the amount of people. Compared to the main cities Suramar is not a hub for players, not a safe zone where many players gather.
As soon as I fly towards Suramar city the fps drop, and this has been reported on the official forum.

It isn’t. iirc the CPU is responsible for that.

Would like to argue Blizzard has no idea how the core components of WoW work so everything in the engine is treated as “legacy, do not ever touch”

1 Like

Nope. The GPU matters too, particularly at the very low graphics performance levels we’re talking about in this thread.

But the lower end the CPU the more the fps will drop in heavily player populated areas, such as city hubs and raids.

The Titan X in this test setup eradicates the GPU as the bottleneck and shows how core/thread count effects the fps in WoW. Although, I’d say the CPU is clocked a bit too low for WoW as higher = better. The fixed 3.3GHz put it in the area of my old i3-4130 @3.4GHz (2c/4t). Once you get over 4c/4t the improvement in fps isn’t as significant.

PCGH even mentions in the article (paragraph below this chart; see link in other post above) that hyperthreading makes a significant difference. But the real improvement in fps comes with real cores, not threads.

While the GPU performance also improves by going a step up the ladder, what should be aimed for here is a lowest tolerable baseline and sources with fitting prices. Not a “how low can I get” goal.

@theaddies’ request is a complete system for $300 max. for the purpose of playing WoW. Prebuilt preferred but not exclusive. Does that include the used market? Desktops only? What about an old mid-tier laptop?

With the unlikeliness of the end-user upgrading the system in the future, maybe something along the lines of the official recommended system requirements would be better long term. Especially with 2c/2t and low clock speed not being ideal for WoW.

With a titanXP, CPU is obviously the bottleneck. With a crappy 2200G/750ti/1030, the GPU will be the bottleneck at 1080p.

Then what do you suggest? The budget is damn tight with $300, so it’s gonna be either a low-end GPU and crap everything else or low-end CPU and crap everything else. If it wasn’t for WoW I’d honestly say screw it and get a console.

2 Likes

Like I said, a used Alienware Alpha off eBay with a haswell-era i3, 4GB RAM, a 750ti GPU, and a 500GB drive all packed in a really nice HTPC case the size of a PS4 slim for $250. Can’t upgrade the GPU, but it’s cheap as hell and will play WoW better than anything else in this thread for the money.

You may be able to get a Refurb Dell Optiplex 9020 off ebay (Tower model) and add an appropriate used video card - like the 750ti mentioned many times, or a GTX 1050 etc. As long as they are <75W and don’t need a power connection. Make sure the card has a HDMI out for the TV connection, or at least a Display port so you can adapt it to HDMI easily and have the sound connected via the one cable.
Its not pretty, but 8GB ram and a 4th Gen i5 or i7 is decent. They also typically come with a Windows license, so probably Windows 10 included.

Definitely could do that, and that’s the usual recommendation for gaming on the cheap. But this is for the living room, and old dell mid-towers look like crap.

With a $300 budget, something has to give, either performance or style - depends which they value.