Budget PC for mum to play Guildwars 2 on

Hi guys,

So I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to just get a premade PC or can build a PC that will run Guildwars 2 comfortabley ?

She already has a GTX 710 that is still working in her old PC but it has given up the ghost,

And she doesn’t want to spend more then £200 British, she is not bothered if its god ugly and if its second hand. And she literally uses it for Guildwars / Discord / Youtube and that’s it.

I was looking at the OptiPlex Dells 3040 and then buying a better hard drive or something. Reason why I ask is that the sheer amount of processors that have come out since I bothered with PC builds have blown my mind and I am completely bewildered about years built etc.

Thanks in Advance,

UHI.

sounds reasonable.
TechYesCity on youtube often scouts for cheap second-hand office computers that one can stick an inexpensive card in to game.
If you decide to go for an aftermarket GPU, there a re a few that don’t require extra 6- or 8-pin power.
If you might do the configuring yourself, perhaps try the existing GTX 710, and look for bargains later on when it needs a bit more oomph

1 Like

You could probably just grab a GTX 1050ti for 100£ and be done with it.

What CPU is in your mother’s system?

System was a AMD x64 dual core old as hell but the system is dOA.

:slight_smile:

Check your local stores for any system with a quad core Intel CPU (2000 series to 4000 series). If you can find one for a good price, post it here. Check to see if the power supply will support adding a graphics card to it easily.

Or something like this could do:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£114.50 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£52.49 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory (£41.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Deepcool - Frame MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£27.80 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£32.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74 CFM 120 mm Fan (£4.49 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £298.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 04:05 BST+0100

2 Likes

Oh, and if you find a reputable place selling refurbs/ used systems in Blighty, can’t hurt to place here.

I’ve found a few here and there at cash converters, either old home ones, or (probably stolen) business ones.
eBay / Facebook have them too.

Bargainhardware seems pretty good with reasonable prices for used stuff, but a second hand computer would cost about £250-300

I guess there might be new, cheap systems at like Amazon (warehouse deals) but I would rather go used old business than new cheap shit

Probably best off at EBay or Gumtree, or farcebook

1 Like

I played that game a shit ton and my experience has been that you need the most amount of CPU power possible. A Q6600 and a 6870 couldn’t hold a candle to a 4790K and the integrated GPU (I tried for the fun of it) on that game. The quality was a bit lower but the framerate was much better.
It’s also a game based on a really old engine so it’s barely optimized for more than 4 cores. My suggestion is to find an i5 4590K that you can overclock to around 4GHz, 8GB dual channel ram and you can keep using the iGPU if you wanted to. Or, if you have some budget left after those purchase, get a GT1050 or an RX460.

1 Like

This is indeed the “100 on top” option. The 2400G is much more capeable allrounder than reviewers gave it credit for.

It’s a good enough build for a reasonable price, but I got the impression that OP didn’t want to build a whole computer (yet?)

Hey all,

Thanks for the good advice, I wanted to build a new computer but basically just jam a gcard in it to make sure that it would do the job with this info I think I would be able to make some good use of it and build something semi decent. Now I just got to wait for my mum to come up with the goods. I think I may add a £100 to her £200 so she can get something decent. Not to sure yet as I have to do extra shifts in work. I hate my job lol.

Thanks all,

UHI

Ryzen 2 (3000) series comes out on July 7th if you can wait for the reviewers to do their thing. They might have a fantastic APU (CPU/GPU) for around 100 quid.

1 Like

Yeah I think I could probably wait until then XD

I managed to get the old pc up and running but my god its so on its last legs.

1 Like

If you intend to go with a Ryzen APU as your daily driver, then definitely wait for the 3200G/3400G, they will provide better bang for the buck.

Also, do consider spending a few extra bucks on faster memory; 3200 MHz really will make the difference with an APU. Not as important with a regular CPU though. Performance would be on par with an RX550 GPU.

2 Likes