Budget gaming PC, is this good?

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO¨

AMD Ryzen 3 3300X Prosessor

I already have SSD’s, case and power supply.
Would this be a decent gaming setup or should I change anything?
I am on a budget, and this will be for 1080p gaming on the main monitor, and there is 2 more monitors just for like discord and youtube.

The games that will be played is stuff like
WoW
FF XIV
Space Engineers

Things like that.

I live in Norway, if that matters.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4 - Make sure it has an updated bios.

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB - It is fine, remember to try and find faster kits… for the same price

The rest looks good.

XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X Processor

1 Like

I would:

• Change the RAM to 3200 MHz
  • Replace the GPU with a 1660 Super
  • Maybe switch the Mobo to a MSI Mortar/Tomahawk MAX (out of box compatible with Ryzen 3000 and good boards)

Of course you should IMHO wait for reviews of B550 as they should come out in a couple weeks.

My thought process: Gaming pc 2020 (1000$)

1 Like

I found a 3200MHz kit for just a tiny amount more, so I’ll change that.
As for the graphics, is a 1660S really a lot better?
Userbenchmark.com says the 5600 is 8% better.
(https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-5600-XT/4056vs4062)

Price is the difference… 20% or so.

…oh, and the new B550 boards are a great suggestion.

Userbenchmark unfortunately sucks. Take a look at some GN reviews, there you will find comparable data.

For 1080p and the game titles you mentioned, the 1660 Super should be totally capable. This is what i would buy for myself (still rocking a 960).

Radeon driver support is flaky and you don’t really need the small bump in performane (but substantial jump in price). You said yourself, that you are on a budget.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll change and go for a 1660S instead, more familiar with Nvidia after all so probably a good idea. And I guess it might be worth waiting for the B550 boards, hopefully they won’t come that much later here in Norway.

This will be an update for a rig that currently has an old 3820, 12GB of Ram and a 960. So hopefully it will be a lot better!

That is Ivy Bridge? That is still a good gaming CPU. The 960 could use an update.

It works, but the ram port on the mb is mangled i think, so need to change that, and then it kind of snowballs.

Fair enough. Maybe something a bit more capable in terms of multi-threaded performance? It can help with video editing and stuff… 6 core 12 threads maybe???

Already have a PC with a 9700K @ 5GHz and 2070 in the household.
This budget build is purely for games.

1 Like

Holy crap dude! =D ok.

I dont think the current XFX line of products are good. Last time Gamer Nexus reviewed their 5700XT line, they found the overall card design lacking with particularly bad thermals. Granted its a different model but if the components of the GPU wont change, it should also be bad.

1 Like

If the 5600XT is still on the table, go with a sapphire model.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.