BSOD terrorizing and hamstring my finals

First test complete with 0 errors. As I mentioned, both sticks were tested (although simultaneously) earlier. It's getting really late here and I don't need a perfect system--just something that doesn't crash on me.

After memtesting, I left the other stick out, disabled one core on the CPU and initiated an AIDA64 stresstest. It's been running for a few mintues now, which doesn't really say much in light of how often it crashed earlier today. I'll let it run for a while and try with the other stick, but with one core disabled. If it fails, I'll try two cores (Core2Duo YES). I'll also try other tasks to test the stability.

Thank you muchly for the help thus far!

The stresstest ran for 10-15 minutes while I was installing programs and playing a youtube video in the background, which would've been impossible a few hours ago. I'd hesitate to make conclusions, but it seems disabling a CPU core solved it. What should I do about that? Just leave it as it is, or is it an RMA issue?

See if you can just run the one single core at stock speeds, with no intel boosting enabled. Maybe also underclock it? Or give it extra voltage? That one core could've just degraded and needs much more juice than the others.

Monitor the voltage constantly until the error occurs if there's a spike or major dip something is faulty in either power delivery or the chips internal regulation itself. See the spike or dip can flip a bit 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 and then bingo bsod..

This is actually what happens during an overclock freeze or bsod as the data is incorrect to the point the system could destroy itself so data execution prevention kicks in and hard locks the system to my understanding

I would say RMA it why keep a product if you are not getting it's full advertised benefit. You can raise the voltage on the core but that is a band aid not a solution @Dynamic_Gravity because the increased voltage will eventually deteriorate the core further possibly even rendering the chip useless due to leakage

Can be caused by bad memory, Bad driver or Bad overclock.

With a 5Ghz OC I would think that the problem is most likely with you overclock.

turn the OC off or Drop the OC back to 4.8 -4.7 or increase vcore slightly.

Finish doing what you need to do than revisit the 5Ghz later.

1 Like