BSOD in Windows, Freezing in Linux

So when I started classes again I reinstalled Win10 so that I could use Adobe stuff and MS Office without any problems. It worked fine for like two months, and then the BSODs came.

It doesn’t give me a hex code. Just some string of words that, combined with the fact that I get a different error every time, isn’t helpful at all when I try to look up what to do to fix.

Codes I’ve gotten:

• Kernel security check failure (BSOD)
  • DPC watchdog violation (BSOD)
  • IRQL not less or equal (BSOD)
  • System thread exception not handled (BSOD)
  • Page fault in nonpaged area (BSOD)
  • CPU over voltage error (on startup)

Things I’ve done:

• Played around with drivers for several hours
  • Updated BIOS
  • Reinstalled Win10 a couple times (get BSOD after install and restart, during initial Windows setup, so I can’t even get into Windows now)
  • Tried power from both power strip and directly into wall (no difference)
  • Moved RAM around and tried single stick (no help)
  • Wiped SSD and installed Linux (computer still freezes)
  • Swapped out SSD with new one (no help)
  • Swapped out CMOS battery with new one (no help)
  • Swapped out PSU with new one (still get BSOD during Win10 setup. Linux still freezes but now it takes a couple hours instead of a few minutes)

I didn’t receive the CPU voltage error until a couple days ago, and this has been going on for a little over a week. Also, after getting this code once it hasn’t shown back up again.

Next steps:

• New mobo?
  • New CPU?
  • Any monitoring software I can install in Linux that will create a log so I can see what’s happening when it crashes?

Excuse me ignorance, but specs?

Have you checked EventViewer? Maybe there is a device that throws them.

Could also try logging HW-sensors (HWInfo (windows) can do this) to see if there is anything just before the crash.

Unlikely.

Probably.

Unlikely, but maybe try a different PSU.

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • Crucial P1 1TB, and also tried brand new WD Black SN750 1TB
  • Asus B450-F
  • EVGA Supernova 1000 (can’t remeber exact model), and also tried brand new Corsair RM750
  • 32GB Gskill 2666MHz DDR4 (16x2)
  • ROG Strix Vega 56

Is it possible to use Event Viewer and HWInfo without getting into Windows? I can install it, but once it restarts and gets to the setup section I get about halfway through and then it blue-screens every time.

There’s a mobo in stock near me I could pick up today. I’m just really not looking forward to completely rebuilding my computer. But if that’s what needs to be done :man_shrugging:. I’m just two days late on homework already and I can’t make up my mind whether or not I actually care about school.

Plus I HATE buying parts and then returning them when they don’t fix my problem. It just makes me feel shitty because now they gotta sell them open box. And I already have two things I need to return because they didn’t fix my problem.

1 Like

You can try letting run Memtest86, if many errors are returned it could point to either RAM being bad or the memory controller on the CPU, possibly the IO die on there.

1 Like

I think I’ll do that before buying more hardware.

Edit:
Disregard. I ordered an MSI B550 Gaming Plus. I’ll try Memtest still before I go and pick it up, but I didn’t want to wait to order. If Memtest doesn’t work I’ll pick up the board. Otherwise it just gets cancelled if I don’t pick it up within a week.

Is there anything in C:\Windows\Minidump?

If there are files in it, could you pass them along as they may have more information that will help us pinpoint the issue.

Try running with default setting like memory set at its factory defaults and all and tell us if you continue BSODing.

I can’t boot into Windows :confused:

Don’t need to boot it to browse it. You got another machine?

True. It’s just been wiped and has Linux on it now, so there is no C: any more. I could reinstall Windows and see after that. But I’m not sure I have a way to interface with an M.2 SSD.

Another thing I forgot to mention is sometimes my mouse is super jumpy. Doesn’t matter whether it’s in Linux or Windows. Doesn’t matter which mouse I’m using.

Raise your SoC voltage to 1.115v, turn off C-states, and increase PWM switching frequency in the VRMs. This is the first thing I’d do.

i second a VRM voltage issue.

I myself have multiple CPUs that don’t make it into windows on default settings on my C6H.
Lowering core clocks and disabling Boosts is another test you should do.

I will try that tonight. Would be nice if it were just some settings I needed to change, rather than dumping several hundred dollars into parts.

Tried reinstalling the cpu?

So I took the new SSD out, put the old one back in. Swapped back to the old PSU as well. All original parts. All original places. Messed with some settings but I didn’t really get that in-depth. I just picked one of the preset profiles and then put the SoC voltage to 1.115v (which gets auto-corrected to 1.11875v or something like that). Reinstalled Win10. It seems to be working fine at the moment. I’m not sure how long, but I was able to get all my programs installed without any BSOD. It feels like it’s been an entire evening, but I think it’s only been like an hour and a half since I got it working. I’m so fucking high right now I went to the kitchen to warm up a cookie and I forgot what else I was going to say. And I was trying to figure out why the words are so blurry, but I just realized I don’t have my glasses on. But it’s working now. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.