Bryan Lunduke + Level1 = Awesome Linux Content

Ask him why he uses a toy operating system.

/s

Seriously though, most people on this forum probably use Linux over BSD (and for that matter, their only experience with BSD was probably FreeNAS), so maybe asking him about the merits of BSD on the desktop would be a good place to start some good open discussion.

Also ask him how much his book weighs. He should know these sort of things.

Don't forget pfSense! BSD is great in appliance-like devices.

@Wendell ask him why he left TechSNAP.

1 Like

True, true. Honestly, I hate pfsense. I've found it to be too clunky to work with quickly. That said I haven't tried it since 2012ish.

BSD is great in devices where you need low overhead.

FTFY

On Allan Jude and obvious question is what to expect with FreeBSD12.

Also maybe further support for more pi-like dev boards I have found it runs great in that realm and would love to see more support.

@wendell

well... I relayed the message for you. Hopefully Lunduke takes your feedback under advisement and can make you happy next time.

2 Likes

@wendell put linux on an x86 pci controller. That'll show him.

1 Like

Eh, Sony put BSD on the south bridge of the Playstation 4. So, putting *nix on a subset of a normal computer has already been done.

No question. But I will miss hearing him talk about security stuff. As someone who's only in my formative years of using Linux (and very much enjoying it), I don't have the time or inclination to start learning about BSD, and therefore can no longer enjoy the Jude on a regular basis. This makes me sad :(

Ask him what he uses for VoIP.

Also, I recently found out something (on /g/, no less) about BSD I never knew before... Namely, the fact that no one in the US has the right to "export" OpenBSD outside of the US?? Is that true only for putting up mirrors and alowing extra-USA parties to download, or does it also include having it on USB or DVD when trying to exit the country?