Bryan Lunduke + Level1 = Awesome Linux Content

Can't help yall. The one I have that I haven't used in like 2 years is black.

1 Like

The problem is that they all start out chromed, but get greasy very fast and the grease stains the chrome permanently because of the high sugar content.

The waffle iron depicted above is also not a "belgian waffle iron", the shape is not correct.

These are typical Belgian waffle irons:

http://www.agrotel.be/contents/en-uk/d195_wafelijzer_pannekoekplaat.html

As you see (never mind the pancake plates that are also in that list), there is always a difference made between Brussels Waffles (Brusselse Wafels in Dutch) and Liège Waffles (Luikse Wafels in Dutch). There is no such thing as a "Belgian Waffle", like there is no such thing as "French Fries" (because those are actually Belgian).

Brussels and Liège Waffles are waffles that are considered food, like in a dish, like pancakes. Then there are a lot of Belgian and Dutch waffle variants that are not considered a dish, but are considered snacks in the biscuits/cookies range. These include the Dutch Stroopwafels (Syrup Waffles), and the Belgian Flash Wafels (vanilla waffles), and literally dozens of other Belgian variants of waffles, from sugar waffles to crunchy thin waffles.

If we're talking about Belgian dish waffles, so about Brussels and Liège waffles respectively:
Brussels Waffles are light and airy and are eaten with whipped cream and powder sugar on top, often also fruits on them. Liege Waffles are dense and rich and contain a lot of sugar, and are eaten with nothing on top of them, cold or hot.
The only thing they have in common (the recipes are radically different) is that both variants are baked in a waffle iron. However, the waffle irons for Brussels Waffles, since the waffles rise while baking, are high with a very deep pattern. The waffle irons for Liège waffles, which do not rise while baking but rather caramelize quite a lot and the sugar and fat starts to run, are not so deep, and the waffle iron does not give, the halves stay together and do not get pushed apart by the rising waffle, the halves have to stay together in order to not let the hot melted sugar and fat escape or it would become very nasty very fast. The dough for Liège Waffles is introduced as a small ball in the centre of the pattern, whereas the dough for the Brussels Waffles is more liquid and spread out more to fill up the entire pattern as the dough expands while rising.

A common and very typical feature of waffle irons for Brussels and Liège waffles, is that the irons are reversible. The whole iron pivots around the back hinge, so that both sides of the waffles are facing down during baking. This feature is very important, because it's simply not possible to make either Brussels or Liège waffles correctly without it. An alternative is that the waffle iron has heating elements on both sides of the plates. The problem with those is that they typically use a lot more electricity because double the heating resistors.

Some waffle irons have exchangeable hot plates with different patterns and have a variable thermostat, so that they can be used for both Brussels and Liège Waffles.

The cheapest decent Belgian waffle iron that I've found is this one:

It is a double sided heated iron for Brussels Waffles. 700W per side is a minimum. This iron has modern teflon coated patterns, and is not very hard wearing as a consequence. Cast iron waffle irons are very hard to find in a good condition, and they are sought after, so the prices are usually pretty high, much higher than modern irons.

This is a very basic "vintage" model for Liège waffles being offered on ebay:

As you can see, these do not come cheap, even if they're really crappy.

I could pop over the border to Belgium and look for one at a brocante market, but problem with that is that it's winter now, so there aren't any brocante markets now, and second problem is that any European waffle iron would not offer a solution in the US, because of the 240 V power supply in Europe vs 110 V in the US. For a 1500-2000W 240V appliance, that would roughly be 3000 to 4500 Watts converted, and the converter to offer that kind of performance would cost much much much more than any possible price benefit on an iron.

7 Likes

Never expected to see a wall of text on Waffle Irons on this forum...Life is full of surprises ...

7 Likes

Niche wall*o*waffles - very great insight and detail. Thanks @Zoltan for having me learned something about waffle irons =D

Even with waffles you are verbose.

Never change.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

10 Likes

Sound crackle aside, an entertaining episode :) Totally looking forward to what ridiculousness comes out of that competition.

2 Likes

Zoltan :)

What?

German national slogan is "wenn denn", which in that form is not grammatically correct, but it is short for "wenn schon denn schon", but in the short form it resembles the English "when then" (which actually should be "wenn dann" in that form)... anyway, it means "if you do something, then really go for it", but even a short slogan can't be explained briefly, because that's not how it works, it would defeat the essence of the solgan, because wenn denn you know... hence all of this...

Oh and national common principle in Germany is that we don't care when others cringe all the time, it's our national sport to provide plenty of cringe worthy material... we make ourselves cringe also, but not in a short and simple way, because wenn schon denn schon you know... in fact we tone down the cringe factor to spare non-Germans, because we've observed strong psycho-somatic responses and even violent tendencies with not properly conditioned subjects that are exposed to slightly higher levels of German cringe, and we've observed that we get generally less criticism about our social inaptness when we tone down the cringe towards non-Germans, like the Swiss tone down the cringe towards us to spare us and keep us from crossing the Alps with a vulgar display of German engineering lol...

So basically, by logic analogy, if the US wouldn't have nukes, I wouldn't post in such a succinct and held-back fashion...

(for those new to the forum: this post is ironic and is nothing but a playful little mind bender for those into that, I could just post "why do a majority of people think it's OK to shoot down a civil airplane full of innocent citizens to save it from potentially coming too close to the White House, and people accept being taxed away 75-80 or more percent of their income, but people do not instinctively think first of taxing away 75-80 % of the wealth of only like the 10 richest people on earth to solve all of the problems that would cause airplanes with innocent citizens to be shot down..." but that's too simple and too heavy)

2 Likes

When I make my breakfast I enjoy listening to German and Nordic schlager music. Everybody seems to cringe when they come down to the kitchen and find me quietly humming along to G. G. Anderson, Anita Lindblom, Juliane Werding and Gitte Hænning, though I do also like the more hardcore stuff like Heinz Rudolf Kunze. The most hilarious music is when some German schlager band makes a cover of some Elvis or Johnny Cash song, and play it exactly like the original, but with butter smooth vocals and plenty amounts of reverb, and that distinctive organ keyboard sound they like so much. I do have a soft spot for stuff like this.

3 Likes

This must be the first thread that being derailed actually fits it perfectly...

1 Like

Derailing is setting very big machines free if you look at it in a certain way...

(for those not reading between the lines: so is Linux)

1 Like

We tried to deport a lot of Schlager artists to Mallorca, an unofficial German enclave in Spain (it's like what Australia was to the UK, a sunny exile island where people speak a foreign language), but Germany doesn't need that big of an island because there's just far less people to deport, not like the UK, where they needed an island several times larger than the motherisland to deport all of their unwanted citizens to), and when there were almost none left, this Hasselhof guy somehow started telling everybody that he's really big in Germany and started using that as marketing, and since our reputation from then on was fucked anyway, we allowed them back in from Mallorca.
The metal scene in Germany is several times larger than the Schlager scene though... you usually don't see rear car window acrylics with "Schlagerfestival", but you see lots of cars with large W:O:A or M'era Luna stickers. There is no statistic about the proportion of stickers of Schlagerfestival vs W:O:A on mobility scooters though, so this might be generalizing in an unfair and discriminating fashion, which is OK, as Germans we can't discriminate beyond our international reputation, so might as well not even try lol...

So is this a competition of "who can strap a Raspberry Pi to the craziest thing?" or something more complicated? A Raspberry Pi on its own makes sense, a Raspberry Pi strapped to a waffle iron? ok, that's a bit weird.

dough-linux-matrix => "dolinatrix"

Linux power Rube Goldberg device?

That name is not suitable for the Asian Market though, unless of course it keeps what it promises...

In other news , Anyone have any good ideas for interview questions for Allan Jude?

3 Likes

I really don't understand what is the point of that video. Lunduke keeps running his mouth but nothing interesting comes out. I kept fast forwarding the video looking for something cool but it's all gibberish.

Allen Jude the BSD guy? I love that guy to death.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/603362299093483520/UlUDeGmn.jpg

I do not have any questions. Because I know him better then he knows himself.

Also does this mean L1T is going to add BSD content in addition to Linux content. Or is this just a one off thing. Should ask him to create content for the channel and to hang out on the forums. ( I promise I will behave and not be one of the crazy fan groups )

2 Likes