Bridge mode on modem/router combo not working

Ah sure, that was already planned. So there will be overhead. I need to test that out before being worried that’s going to be too much. I’ll also try to switch to bridge all the ports to see if anything changes. I don’t think it would, but I don’t know.

Also what about a crossover cable? Could that be the problem (not using one I mean)?

There shouldn’t be any meaningful lag introduced.

I doubt it’s a crossover cable issue, but it’s never a bad idea to test. You might have been using one all along. Look up t568a and t568b. You should be able to compare this with your cable.

Like I said though, almost everything auto negotiates. It would have to be old and shit to not do that.

1 Like

I’m surely not using one, 100%. I never owned one either since everything auto negotiate as you said. The modem might be shit thou, can’t confirm or deny (you can check for yourself too if you want). Also if I were using a crossover cable I’d see my ports light up but they don’t in bridge mode. I think they fucked up the firmware somehow. I need to dig into that.

P.S. the modem/router says the port set to bridge is down, speed autonegotiate and zero on all the packets type (tx, rx, resend and so fort)

It only matters if the port is 100baseT. For gigabit it was changed so cable literally never matters.

1 Like

The ports are all gigabit, especially since I’m on a gigabit internet plan and speedtesting it through cable I get 920Mbit down, which is almost at gigabit limit.

1 Like

Yep, something is fucky then.

1 Like

There is no way to predict maximum throughput, without testing. Many consumer routers have 1GB ports, for example, but most don’t have the silicon horsepower to process actual gigabit throughput. Additionally, One model of Ubiquiti router comes to mind that has a quirk in the silicon. IIRC, In routing mode it is capable of handling a larger volume of throughput than in bridged mode. Every piece of hardware can potentially have its own quirks.

A router is a transition which separates two networks. Any time that you deploy a router, you’ll need a WAN port facing towards the ISP and LAN ports facing your network. The exception to the rule - if you configure a router as a wireless access point, it’s no longer a router, so you wouldn’t need to use the WAN port.

Consumer grade firmware is crap. Even when the features function, they are typically riddled with security vulnerabilities, which never get addressed. Perhaps your ISP would send you an exchange unit to test for a couple of days and then you could keep the one which is most stable?

1 Like

I did test it throughly because I needed to have the maximum connection speed possible, after my ISP claimed that I could get the full gigabit. So there’s no issue on that front.

The Fritz is already configured that way and it surely works.

Yes, consumer firmware is crap but AVM updates really frequently their firmwares and their devices are one of the best “affordable” (still the 7490 costs 180€) devices you can buy for home networking (not counting “gaming routers” or other BS like those). So I’m doing myself a service too switching to it as a router.

This. Maybe they have one without routing functions and you can either diy or pick up something more robust.

I enjoy my wrt3200ac as much as people seem to be anti Linksys (this thing was made by Belkin which is probably even worse). It gets regular firmware updates at least.

1 Like

I can’t change the modem because it’s FTTH and I don’t want to waste more money on my LAN to be honest. I’ll try to ask them if they provide me a PoN maybe, I don’t know. Anyway, as I said, they literally have unprepared slaves in their call centers and I don’t have a life to waste on them.

Oof

Well at least you have bragging rights.

1 Like

Wasn’t my intent haha

I was taking a shot at your router/modem firmware, not your FritzBox. Regular security updates is the reason that I generally recommend Ubiquiti, or pfSense. FritzBox hardware is not commonly available in my area. With few exceptions, most consumer grade manufacturers simply don’t stand behind their products, that includes the junk that the ISPs hand out.

Anywhoo, best of luck!

1 Like

Oh yeah yeah, I didn’t took it like that. Just explaining since AVM is EU only (240V only PSU) and didn’t land in other parts of the world.

Especially that lol

Thanks, I’d really need a lot of luck to get out of this

Unfortunately the DMZ is not working as expected. I opened a port on my router for testing, used a site to check if the port is open and it says it’s close. So the device is not properly exposed on the internet as it should be but it’s just getting internet connection from my modem.

The port might still be closed if the computer that is supposed to respond on it is firewalled or if theres no service on it. What port and what service? You can DM your IP and I can try to check from my end.

1 Like

Are you sure? I just plugged in the eMule port but I didn’t have any service running. That might be the issue? Is it possible to delay your offer, because I’m really tired now and I need to relax and not bash my head against uncooperating hardware. If not I greatly appreciate your help and efforts.

1 Like

I’m actually at work now so another time is perfectly fine.

1 Like

Again, thanks a lot. I’ll let you know when I’ll put everything back up for testing through DMs if you’re okay with that. Still the DMZ solution is an half measure and I’m going to call my ISP anyway (sigh)

not a problem, feel free whenever you find the motivation.

1 Like