Bought a Ryzen 5 2400G. need best non-bank breaking motherboard/ram combo for Media server

Preferably Motherboard, RAM and SATA expander card combination with estimated total cost.

Im thinking minimum 8GB of RAM as that is what I have now. Since AMD, would have to be Dual channel. If only 8GB, the board would have to have 4 Dimms.

The PSU I recently purchases to replace the ancient Rosewill 430W Green 80Plus I was running (still works amazingly) is a Seasonic 550W Focus Gold Fully Modular.

Well pretty much any of the ASRock and Gigabyte X370ā€™s are an easy recommendation. Good BIOS that gets updated and works plus feature complete. Also support ECC unlike the MSI boards just for future if you ever convert it into a full NAS box.

And Iā€™ve played with a lot of them by now. B350ā€™s you would have to to just hop on their site and dig around for what you can find. Dual onboard NICā€™s are more common on the higher end X370 boards but some B350ā€™s also have them.

But I will have to leave the rest to someone else to compile.
Iā€™m off to be somewhere else now.

1 Like

They also sent this one to some reviewers, and itā€™s the one Iā€™m really interested in:

Of course it isnā€™t available yet. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Itā€™s a 3+2 with extra parts running in parallel. No doublers or anything.

I think the only 8-phase ITX Ryzen board is the ASUS one.

EDIT: The ASUS is 6+1.

Reading that page and everything seems to be boosting :smiley:
Aesthetics are nice, liking the heatsink

Is that heatsink for m.2 or does it go somewhere ā€¦behind?

Then ā€œOptimized audio, 120 dB SNR 32-bitā€ caught my eyeballs

Googling:

and I realized that even my Taichi has that, but I have my interface :man_shrugging:t2:

I am seriously considering running Fedora 27 Atomic Server on it to make use of the 4/8 core/thread setup to run several containerized server/services.

Interesting topic about vrm discussion that i missed.

Would you mind point me towards some technical data on this statement?
I wanne know how the apu part is implemented in this case.

2 Likes

In Tomā€™s Hardwareā€™s review of the Ryzen 5 2400G (page 3), they mention that

Intelā€™s Kaby Lake and AMDā€™s Bristol Ridge processors feature two power rails, one dedicated to the CPU and another dedicated to the GPU. Raven Ridge employs a single rail for both regions to enable power sharing. This allows the SoC to dedicate more current to regions that are experiencing heavier load, purportedly boosting performance.

They also have an AMD slide to the same effect, titled ā€œSynergistic Power Rail Sharingā€.

2 Likes

This explains why some reviewers were seeing differing performance in benchmarks depending on how high the CPU was overclocked (see MindBlankTechā€™s review on YT).

1 Like

Well i have to look at this more closely wenn it comes to the Raven Ridge apuĀ“s.

Fellow techs, while I have no issue with the current discussion in this thread and in fact welcome it.

I require 3 things from you as soon as possible.

1. Your top pick for ATX, mATX and mITX boards in either AB350 or X370. 1 pick for each please. Keep in mind I will not be overclocking the chip as it is going in a server workload - also most likely running on either Fedora Server or Fedora Atomic Server.

2. Your top pick of RAM kits for 8GB and 16GB capacities. They should coincide with the motherboard choice. ECC is not as important to me at the moment. It is primarily a media server so it will be transcoding a lot. I care mainly about not breaking the bank on this upgrade so please keep this in mind.

3. Any reviews or supporting documents/sites/videos etc that back up your picks and reasons.

I would like to make the purchase of the RAM and Motherboard ASAP. I will most likely be buying a Toshiba/ OCZ NVMe SSD RD400 series I believe as it has Linux firmware update support unlike Samsung who are currently on my shitlist because of that (specifically not supporting the OS period firmware updates or otherwise).

After that, feel free to carry on as I follow the conversation avidly and will update you all on my progress.

ASRock Taichi or the Gigabyte Gaming K7, whatever is cheaper.
MSI Bazooka? I donā€™t know, mATX isnā€™t all that great on Ryzen.
ASRock AB350-whateveritscalled for ITX.

Pretty much any GSkill 3200 MHz kit. Trident, Flare, Ripjaws, it donā€™t matter. If thatā€™s too expensive, most kits will work up to 2933 MHz with updated BIOS.

As for backup, Amazon/Newegg/BH/PCPartPicker have plenty of reviews on all of them.

I bought a ASUS Prime X370 Pro and 8G Corsair Dominator 3000mhz. This was the best deal i could see but with the problems Iā€™m having with updating the BIOS i do wish i had got a board with a error LED readout.

The more feedback the board can give when problems arise must save some of the shoulder shrugging that Iā€™m currently doing.

Wellā€¦ I run 2666 ram and I am yet to see a benchmark of my 1700X, that I donā€™t outperform. Not overspending is important here,so Iā€™ll say just stay 2666ā€¦
For B350 motherboards I will say stay away from MSI and Asrock if itā€™s going to be heavy duty. My beautiful Asrock B350 Pro4 board have crazy hot VRMs whenever I push my CPU. So thereā€™s that.
For X370 - just stay away from MSI.

Yeah well to be honnest about B350.
Pretty much any B350 board kinda sucks for overclocking a Ryzen 7 cpu.
But according to what opā€™s planes are with the system,
no real overclocking other then on memory, on the 2400G.
It doesnt have to be a top notch board i guess.

Something like the Asus B350-F strix is a pretty nice board.
But its a bit on the expensive side of the B350 boards unfortunatlly.
And therefor it comes with too manny bells and wishles that OP probablly doesnt need.

If op has ever planā€™s to upgrade the sever to a Ryzen 7 8 core.
Then i think that the Asus X370 prime pro would be a nice board.
This board can be found on sale sometimes, and isnt overly packed with unessesary feutures.

If it has to be mini itx.
Then the Asrock B350 Gaming itx isnt a bad choice think.
It uses 25A powerpacks that dont really suck for this kind of implementation wenn its getting cooled right.
But it wont be an overclock champion unfortunatlly.
Also yeah regulation wise it isnt the greatest vrm topology.
Still it should be fine for his needs, and the boards comes with hdmi ports aswell.

Can anyone tell me If openMAX supports the AMD Radeon Vega GPU? I want to use the APU for hardware transcoding. If I can not use it, I will have to get a dedicated card so the mini-ITX will be out of the question and I will have to figure out a case solution that is not expensive but has good airflow and drive storage etc. If it does support the APU, then I can snag the Add-in SAS/SATA card and expand my storage over time. If someone could let me know ASAP I would like to order a mobo soon. Im at an impass deciding due to not being able to find an answer about openMAX.

If you mean HW level support then as far as I can tell yes, VCE 4.0. I have no clue if linux drivers support it yet though which is what you probably meant. And ffmpeg seems to claim it as experimental?

Michael from Phoronix covers his experience with raven ridge in linux:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Raven-Ridge-Mobo-Linux

edit:
According to agd5f on phoronix forum:

For multi-media, VDPAU, VAAPI, and OMX are supported by the gallium drivers for AMD GPUs. The AMD packaged drivers ship the gallium multi-media drivers.

However this is discussing drivers in general not Vega specifically.

1 Like

So, based on that, should I refrain from going with a Mini-ITX board and instead go with an mATX or ATX board and a discrete GPU like a GTX 1030 for NVenc? I would prefer an AMD GPU due to the larger number of simultaneous transcodes.

I would wait and see if driver situation improves with the next kernel release in April(?). But then Iā€™m in no hurry here. If you want to build now, yes mATX will give you the fallback options.

mATX vs ATX? I can do either.