Bored with the internet

I think that basically sums what what I have been feeling as of late.

Thanks!

Its been a while since i was reading this. But the pituitary gland in the brain controlls drive ( not the sexual kind ), maybe it needs more juice. Research ways that you could use to increase the activity of the pituitary gland.

Something that would have taken hours to consume, only takes 30mins of your week. Sounds like time to invest in a new hobby or personal cultivation.

Boredom is a direct result of a lack of creation. I would suggest a distraction from your current activities and find out what it is you do good at creating. Music or art or build something. Boredom is an emotion not a feeling...that is to say it is ALWAYS a reaction to external stimuli, unlike a feeling which is ALWAYS a deliberate choice. Faster vibrational frequencies within the self are telling you "you are not keeping up with us", and therefore are heading into stagnation. Change what you are doing, and keep up with yourself.

Looks like someone needs to go deeper into the rabbit hole......

yes, I don't even have a smartphone.

I would say an emotion is a specific type of feeling. If I say "I feel bad", it's no because I want to feel bad, but a reaction to something else.

You said more than just this so I don't want to focus on it. But that statement is bullshit.
The most non-boring person in the world can still become bored.
I think it's only boring people who don't feel boredom

As for the rest I honestly cannot understand what you wrote.

IIRC the solution to that was abstinence, and then later slowly add it back.
Threath it like a burnout.

1 Like

I think for me I tend to see the same ideas and trends rehashed over and over. Especially with forums and other online content. I'm not the least bit interested in most computer builds, particularly anything over $1000, because they are all the same to me. The really awesome stuff like flipping capacitors to the bottom of a motherboard or an open loop geothermal water cooling system doesn't come around every day, and doesn't interest everybody either.

I see a lot of confirmation bias where I'm either reading what I already know, hearing the other side which I am already familiar with, or some trolls attempting to poke some fun or malice into an already boringly divided concept. I can't tell you how many times I have written out large posts of ideas, just to erase them because other people explained my side of things well enough, or that other people didn't appear to gain anything valuable from information already provided and I concluded my addition to a conversation would ultimately be pointless. I should probably review my posts more thoroughly and post even less because I usually end up falling in the trap of essentially repeating the same ideas.

There are all kinds of things online that appear to be awesome, but end up falling short. Being a 'one man army' where I don't personally know any people even remotely interested in the same stuff I like makes things quite boring. There are some things I have learned that I basically do only for personal enjoyment. Other things I would like to learn, but it is such a rabbit hole to go down and no real use for all of the things people use as practice to learn. I would love to learn some real programming beyond basic HTML, but no desire to make a calculator or word processing program.

I read through a book on learning to program an Arduino, and understood everything except the chapter on programming and learning Morse code. Yes, it can be useful in some situations, but I don't see that need ever coming for me and couldn't be less interested in trying to mix Morse code with anything. I would love to learn more about servers, but have no use for one. I don't listen to music or hardly watch movies. Certainly not enough to set up a server for it and if I did I would never use it, so it sucks the life out of me before I can begin such a project. I could do a simple game server, but I game too much as it is. Learning servers 'seems' interesting, but in practice is very boring for me.

Instead I have been trying to do more physical projects. Building furniture, fixing cars, planting trees. I used to frame houses, and at the end of the day I could see walls or a roof that didn't exist that morning. I get a better sense of accomplishment from that than I do from the internet. I wouldn't know half of the things I do without it, but by itself the internet can be a boring place. It really needs some sort of inspiration drawn from reality to give it deep meaning.

4 Likes

It is merely human to acclimate to something frequented. Among others, there are many things one can do to lessen such a feeling. The one you'll probably get most often is to find any hobby--I would recommend one that serves a real, beneficial purpose--that you hold interest for. A more direct and immediate change would be to switch up your workspace; this can be any change--ranging from using a whole new distro and window manager/environment and implementing a different use for your personal computer, all the way to making a monitor adjustment, minor or major.

It may sound cheesy, but I meditate often. In temporarily closing out my surroundings, I indulge in a sort of out-of-body experience, visualizing viewing myself in my current environment. I feel it enhances my overall physical awareness, though this is only one of the few things I do during meditations. Amongst other meditations, mainly involving focusing on one's own mortal self in some fashion, I find it allows me optimal moments for insight into my current state of being: physically, educationally, economically, philosophically, et cetera, and betterment thereupon.

I don't know how you'll take this, especially the part about meditation, as I have only a faint understanding of how others perceive the act of meditation, all-inclusive of the "ohmm" you'll get if others see you, depending on your stance. But above all else, I hope whoever reads this takes it as another's personal account and uses it as they deduce best for self-betterment.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who replied with such long and detailed posts. I will consider the advice given in this thread, seriously :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Being bored with the internet is sorta like the same problem I have at times being bored with music.

There is so much good stuff out there, it is overwhelming when I try to search for something new. Also, whenever someone tells me to check out something I may like, I never remember it unless I right it down immediately.

In 2015, I went through a phase where I was really into watching tech news on YouTube (that's why I'm here). Then I realized all of these guys are reading the same news stories from the same websites and testing the same new products and getting the same benchmark results. So I started going to the websites they were getting their news from and I stopped watching TechTube (except for L1T). Then I realized all of the websites were testing the same new products and getting the same benchmark results and in many cases they are cutting and pasting to plagiarize the same articles from each other.

I deleted all of those bookmark's except for the one I read before the age of TechTube.
Tom's Hardware page. My bookmarks that I actually use is dwindling fast.

1 Like