Booted once to windows, now kernel panics

help :upside_down_face:

somehow I knew it were not to be trusted

EVERYTHING WAS GOING ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS living on manjaro, until i tried my windows entry on grub

I used the grub boot loader to boot into windows once and now it will not boot back into manjaro
It drops me to emergency shell and then kernel panics

grub is still working,
please help

This is how rootkits are installed

1 Like

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you. However, I figured I would chime in and say that I’ve even had this type of thing happen in reverse with Windows Throwing Errors after Live-booting a Linux distro. So I’d love to know what it is about both of these OSes interacting with each other that causes failures between the two.

1 Like

I fear reinstallation might be nessacery over just having to dual boot, EVERYTHING WAS SO GOING SO FINE

Have you ever done a Linux boot repair before?

There are a few things you can do to fix this.

First off, I would make a liveusb. We are gonna try to avoid reinstalling, but we need a live system to work with.

Boot into it and mount your partitions under /mnt. So your / is on /mnt, your /boot is on /mnt/boot, etc…

Then do arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash.

From there, you’re in a fully functional chroot environment of your real system, with the convenience of a browser to help you.

You can then begin the boot repair process.

First things first, regenerate your initcpio, then reinstall grub on your disk. Once that’s done, remake your grub config and try rebooting. If this doesn’t fix it, reinstall your kernel, rebuild any dkms stuff you’ve got and see if that helps.

If that doesn’t help, I’ll have to get more info from you.

3 Likes

Booted Gparted on live cd and did a fscheck and correct. Rebooted straight into my manjaro

windows pulling scorched earth i see

1 Like