Book of the Month - Jan/Feb Neuromancer by William Gibson

Going to pick this up hopefully tomorrow/day after. See if i can get a book in in 15 days :D

2 Likes

My book arrived today!

6 Likes

Is that a new book? Your cover is better than mine.

1 Like

I might not be able to read until the middle of February :(

So much coursework this semester.

1 Like

I noticed that too when I was ordering it, seems they have new covers for the series.

1 Like

So who has finished the book because I am going to spend the rest of this free day reading it. I haven't done that in a long time. Just spending nearly the whole day reading a good book.

1 Like

I'm still reading, think ill be done this weekend.

Half way done. Will be done by the end of the week.

You can definitely tell Gibson is finding his voice with this novel. The later novels are a bit more self assured.

You mean 'finding'?

Yes I am on a phone and this site runs like crap on mobile so spelling mistakes happen.

Was just saying this novel is more experimental in prose than his later works.

3 Likes

I can kinda see that. So far, I have finished the first chapter few days ago and nothing super substantial happened that is making go "I can see why people like this". It feels like I'm going over the setting that is essentially Neo-Tokyo.

I thought I was the only one.

1 Like

He really addresses that in the newest edition's intro, I felt. Even he is a little embarrassed at how it has aged, but I totally see how it is foundational to a lot of other sci-fi and fantasy that came after it.

3 Likes

His later works: Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are fantastic by the way.

I love this book. It's what got me into the industry, to be honest.
Particularly, it put me down the path of a focus in information security - I did ethical hacking courses off the back of that fascination.

Now I design infrastructure, and am teased mercilessly if I make security mistakes.

1 Like

I am The Deliverator.

2 Likes

When would everyone like to do the live-chat/discord discussion?

Wednesdays are best for me (In Pacific Timezone, so any time after 11am up until 6pm for a start time) or I can also make Sunday Feb 19th similar times.

I guess Sunday Feb 19th if some have not finished the book yet. Otherwise for me, anytime since I'm usually free.

1 Like

Let's do this the easy way ;) When can most people make the discussion?

• Discussion Wednesday February 15 Start time TBD
  • Discussion Sunday February 19 Start time TBD
  • Discussion Wednesday February 22 Start time TBD

0voters

3 Likes

I recon i might be around for the 22nd (hopefully no work xD)

Eden would be overjoyed if you used the L1T discord... but is happy if your using yours

Though it might not be considered his best work, does anyone else feel the similarities to other works based off it? Maybe its just me projecting but it seems to still have that specific atmosphere you see elsewhere (especially in games..)

1 Like

Totally planned on using the L1T :)

2 Likes