Book Club Anyone?

You guys like paperback still or are most of ya using a kindle or tablet to read from?

I'm a hardcover type guy.

A Maze of Death is a fantastic book by Asimov; he plays with different planes of genuine and perceived reality

1 Like

Oooh, let me just open my google books collection.

Fiction:
Terry Pratchett. The whole "Discworld" series is amazing.
Daniel H. Wilson. "Robopocalypse"/"Robogenesys" dilogy and "Amped".
Pratchett/Baxter "Long Earth" series.
David Adams, "Lacuna" series. Soft SciFi (mostly Fi) space opera.
Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon" is definitely a must read.
Teri Terry, "Slated"/"Fractured"/"Shattered" trilogy.

Non-fiction:
David Kahn, "The Codebreakers".
Robert Zubrin, "Case for Mars".

Books you probably won't find unless you're russian:
Oleg Divov, "Best Crew of the Solar System" and "Saboteur".

Reading Clarke's "Rama" series at the moment, loving it.

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions. Here's how it's going to go down:

1. 3 books will be selected from among the suggestions thread. If no one votes for anyone else's suggestions through liking their post I will use my best judgement.
  2. The books can be from any genre so long as you think they would be interesting to the group as a whole. I read from many genres and don't like to read more than a few Sci Fi books a year and lately I prefer Science non-fiction to all. If Sci Fi is what prevails, then that's what prevails. I'm just saying don't be limited. Also, make suggestions for books you WANT to read, not ones you HAVE read because you'll be left without a book to read or have to reread something.
  3. There will be a 2 week voting period then the book will be announced.
  4. The time period for completing the reading will vary based on length of the book. Longer books take longer to read, so we'll scale accordingly.
  5. The discussion thread on the chosen book will open at 2 weeks (3 weeks for longer books) after the title is announced (keeps spoilers down).
  6. Discord or live discussion will take place at the end of the allotted time for the book.
  7. Unless someone else really wants to, I will lead the live discussion and also will periodically add discussion points to the thread.
2 Likes

Two thoughts: how do you ensure that voters are readers; will it be a chapter by chapter pace, and how long?

1 Like

I trust the % that wont be readers will be low, this community is pretty good.

There's no guarantee that voters will read the book, but I would think people wouldn't waste their time voting if they aren't going to participate.

The pace will be either 4 or 6 weeks depending on the amount of hours the book is estimated to take. We can't drag it out too long or we won't be able to move on to other books. So, participants will need to fit in the reading where it works in their schedules. I also don't discourage people from participating in the discussions even if they don't complete the book. I've run a few of these irl and this formula works fairly well.

1 Like

Lets get rolling, no time like the present.

I recently became aware that good reads has a bookclub ability and listing systemof what book you want to read with a timer to when you want to finish it.

@gearheadgirl27 this could be an easy way to track books we have read and are reading and members who are participating (if they don't minding using good reads).

I also think maybe having a locked forum post that list books read/are reading and time completed/to complete would be good idea too. Maybe get someone to skicky it (or whatever its called so it shows at the top of the page)

I like the idea of a locked thread with books read listed, but I think we should keep it all here. I personally need a less cluttered online life and one more site I have to log into and keep up with is one more too many. Thanks for the feedback though! Totally appreciate any suggestions.

1 Like