Bluez Issue Has Me Playing the Blues

Hey awesome people!

I’ve been trying to switch over to Linux on my laptop but cannot for the life of me get my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to sync with it. Bluetooth earbuds work perfectly but when trying to pair the keyboard and / or mouse I get:

[bluetooth]# pair [redacted MAC address]
Attempting to pair with [redacted MAC address]
[CHG] Device [redacted MAC address] Connected: yes
[CHG] Device [redacted MAC address] Connected: no
Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationCanceled

LSPCI output:

04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Does anyone have some suggestions for me, I’ll provide further information but figured I’ve banged my head on this for awhile now and I feel like it’s possibly an easy fix. Thanks!

I have had a similar issue with connecting a PS4 controller to my PC using a bluetooth dongle. If you are running, Gnome, are you using the built in Gnome Bluetooth manager?

Otherwise, do it through the command line. The Arch wiki helped me with this.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Troubleshooting

1 Like

That was a great idea, I had never seen that! Unfortunately my issue does not align with the problem they stated. I did go through the process anyway and still cannot connect the bluetooth mouse. This is so strange haha, gotta love Linux.

Do you get any diagnostic info from rfkill?

Running rfkill shows that both devices are soft and hard unblocked.

Interesting. By chance, is this a Logitech setup?

Good guess haha, it is the MX Ergo that I have been trying to pair. I feel like that could potentially be part of it. The keyboard however is a Dierya DK63, but one thing at a time.

Yeah, Logitech does funky things with their dongles and hardware. Lots of “quirks” because they break spec.

Did you see this in the link I mentioned earlier?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Logitech_Bluetooth_USB_Dongle

1 Like

I didn’t see that the first time around! It doesn’t look like that particular scenario applies to my mouse however. I did try the fix but it didn’t make a difference, so I’m almost wondering if my next step is to replace the WiFi card. Unfortunately I think my motherboard has to be flipped upside down in order for that to happen…

Sorry that it did not work for you. I have not used Logitech stuff in over a decade becauase of them breaking the standards.

1 Like

What distro are you on? I would check the following files:

# /etch/bluetooth/main.conf
[Policy]
AutoEnable=true
# /etc/bluetooth/input.conf
UserspaceHID=true

I’ve tried a few different ones, but I’ll check the conf files for sure. I’ll let you know what I find out!

1 Like

All right, so new card it is. I’m starting an online course soon and even in Windows this card has issues. Do either of you have suggestions for one of these cards working in the laptop / Linux?

Any Intel card will do as long as your bios does not black list the device. Some laptop vendors do this for $$$ reasons.

1 Like

Received the card a day early, installed it, used it all day in Linux and gaming, no issues. So just a cruddy gaming laptop WiFi card needing replacing. Thanks all for your help and I’m glad the community here is so helpful!

1 Like