Bluetooth Presence Detection for Home Automation -- The Level1 Way

Has anyone else used “Slinglink” before, Ethernet over the power outlets?
I must do more research on the protocol. I figured this could be my bus.

I know some of you would like to read up on this
https://www.smartgrid.gov/the_smart_grid/smart_home.html

@wendell
I am liking the home automation content but you are lacking the basics.
Perhaps a video of setting up a the core of the automation, like Home Assistant or HAB or something.
Then the other content like this would be something a person adds into their system that they have already set up.

My system is old and a bit hodgepodge. What do you you have? What works well?

I don’t have a tested setup yet. I put Home Assistant in a docker container, and i have some switches on order in the mail, but otherwise no automation.

Since i have not really looked at comparisons between the central systems yet, i decided that i would just try each type myself and see which i prefer.

It will probably be about a week before i have any results myself; I am working on making an electric bike at the moment.

Hello Wendell,
I was curious about your comment regarding updates. I’ve been in tech since the days when kilobytes were a lot of memory. Why do you say frequent upgrades are good? I’ve only been hacked once, and that was due to someone breaking into the Cisco router at my provider. I’ve had far more issues with updates breaking well tested and working systems. Why is a NAT router and systems with good firewall rules not sufficient? Is Windows networking default allow the problem?

Gigabyte recently had had a security issue with their mainboards with a feature that was ment for conviniently updating their bios

Theoretically, every single one of your IOT things could have similar backdoors. I have no reason to believe they take more care in the security of random little gadjets than mainboard manufacturers do.

But, yes a lot of this you can mitigate if you take away internet access from those devices and only allow them to talk to what they absolutely need to. As in they will only be able to talk to home assistant or mqtt and nothing else.