Bluetooth Enabled Funkbox From 1987 | Build Your Own

This was really cool, nice to see some hacked together tech creations!

Hey, make more how to videos, I thought it was pretty cool (even if I personally won't be building one)

Glad you all liked the mod. If any of you are interested in building one of these yourself I have a link here to the parts list on mouser (for everything except the module I used): 

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=e0921e871c

The complete parts list is:

1x OVC3860 bluetooth module. 
1x LM 7805 voltage regulator ($0.69 mouser)
2x 100uF electolytic capacitor ($0.27 each)
2x 1kOhm trimming potentiometers 
2x 10uF Ceramic capacitors ($1.48 each)
2x 200ohm -> 8ohm signal transformers ($2.16 each) 
1x Prototyping PCB board ($3.11)

+various wires and connectors (I had a lot of that lying around). 

These guys have the bluetooth module I used. I know you can get these cheaper on eBay and there are cheaper models out there as well. You could probably get the cost of this bit down to USD$5. 

http://www.nyplatform.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=623

If you wanted to make a boombox mp3 player rather than a bluetooth speaker you could quite easily swap out the bluetooth module for something like this: http://www.dx.com/p/bluetooth-mp3-decoding-board-module-w-sd-card-slot-usb-2-0-port-fm-remote-black-white-202155#.VGvjBlfF_i4 It might actually be little simpler with that particular module, as it has its own voltage regulator built in. 

If you have any questions about this post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Awesome build guys, I love old tech being redone into new tech. I took an old Xbox unit and redid it. Now it's a full fledged media PC. Still have some kinks to work out but at least it looks good on a TV shelf.

Oh, and I'll take some more of those how-to videos.

It's music off Logan's album that he is just finishing up. Should be out in the next few months. Check out his other songs on epicpants.com, the albums are super cheap and really worth it!

Yes, I love the how-to vids. Also, update us on your new album on the next Tek or Inbox!!! I would like to see some of the cool thing Qain does, and I am sure Wendell does some equally crazy stuff too! You could make this into a series, maybe have someone make an "Intro to Electronics" video for the people in the community who are interested but don't know about this stuff. I really look forward to more videos like this, they are very interesting and a good change to the regular content.

This is awesome a quick video with a solid Article with all the detail.

Great video! more please.

Awesome Project & Video Guys, Keep em Coming! :-)

Ghetto blaster hackers.

Would it not be easier to use a DIY stereo amp using the LM386 chip, rather then going thought the tape-decks input? That would also give you independent controls. 

I did consider going down this road but it would also mean that I would have 2 sets of amps in the boombox (because I wanted to keep the working tape deck in there). Also I quite liked the idea of being able to play an MP3 off my phone and record it to a tape (even though I haven't tried it yet) and the simplest way to get that done was to simply go through the tape deck B input.

I say do some more videos like this, but a little more in depth, and were you got the parts too.

Many boom boxes have a preamp on the tape deck to boost levels to line level before the main amp. Most Bluetooth sound modules would output line level so it's best to bypass the tape head and preamp going straight to the lines running to the main amp. This allows you to avoid peaking the tape preamp producing cleaner sound, even at higher volumes off the Bluetooth module as well as avoid the damping factor issues of going through a tape head preamp.

True, but that would involved much more messing with the boards in the boombox. Had each part been in individual boards, or the sections joined by wires that could have been relatively easily removed I would definitely done that. I really didn't want to start cutting the tracks on the boards. 

I made a Raspberry Pi-based Bluetooth audio receiver. Using the headphone out on the Pi, I just hooked it up to my living room surround sound system, but it would easily be crammed into a ghetto blaster and run through a line in or a cassette adapter (if the tape deck was still functioning). I had actually contemplated producing them, as the programming was rather easy, and all it would take is cloning SD cards; the hard part is retrofitting them into the boomboxes (and finding one).

Loved the video and other previous how-to videos. Making instructional and or idea videos is so important for engaging the community and getting non-tech-savy people interested. Keep up the awesome work guys! :)

BTW looking forward to the create your own e-mail server video. :)

I have two project ideas.  The one I have actually finished was a transparent hard drive cover. (See picture)  The other which I started but haven't finished yet is a hard drive clock.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycled-Hard-Drive-Clock-FuneLab/

That makes sense,

(I just wonder if the preamp on the tape deck is maybe coursing some fidelity problems with the module line output, and building a quick amp may be easier then working out how to bypass that).

Modded a fair few old radios into guitar amps and MP3 players, will defiantly have to try this Bluetooth module!

Been drifting away from the forum, due to the lack of maker activity....but this is the kind of stuff that has pulled me right back in!

Very cool job, sir!  

MOOOOAAAAARRR