Blue Screened Windows 8

I'm a windows scrub (been using windows for a long time; still don't know what the heck is going on under the hood), so I'm gonna need a lot of help with this one.

Under system, the event viewer gave this:

• The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) did not load:
    dam (1:46pm)
  • Name resolution for the name finance.services.appex.bing.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. (1:51pm)

Under application:
- The Windows Security Center Service could not stop Windows Defender. (1:53pm)
- svchost (2608) Instance: The database engine stopped the instance (0).
Dirty Shutdown: 0 (1:52:36pm)
- svchost (2608) Instance: The database engine detached a database (1, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\PackageRepository.edb). (Time=0 seconds) (1:52:36pm)
- The Software Protection service has stopped. (1:49:16pm)
- Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for re-start at 2115-04-27T20:49:15Z. Reason: RulesEngine. (1:49:16pm)

After that is stuff that happened after the crash, which I don't think is important.

Application says that there was a software protection service that was licensing, it scheduled a restart, and then it suddenly stopped. There's some repeat information that occured a minute before 1:49pm which I don't think is necessary to C&P here.

So what caused the crash? If you need more info, I'll have to provide a lot of screen caps for each event. -_-

It's annoying that the blue screen gives you a :( face. MS is so condescending.