Block USB Device from Host OS

Hi,

I have an virtual machine that I want to use a dedicated Ethernet connection separate from the one my Host uses. So I got an USB Ethernet card and plugged it in an assigned it to my VM with a static IP. So far so good.
The Problem is, when the VM is not turned on the USB Etherned card gets automatically used by my Host which is something I do not want.
Is there some thing like a blacklist on the Host or some kind of stub driver like for PCI devices that can be used so I can assign the USB network card to the VM and only to the VM and it is going to be ignored by the Host?

Thanks in advance guys!

could likely setup a udev rule to ignore it

I never knew what udev rules were, I just heard the name a few times. This was actually the solution. I followed a guide to deauthenticate the network card and I can still pass it through.

1 Like

Unfortunately it was not as easy. When I make a udev rule to deactivate the network card, I can still pass it through … I tested that yesterday. But now I realized that I can not use the card in the VM. In Ubuntu for example it is shown as a network interface but I can’t get an IP because it is doing nothing.

Another way might be blacklist the driver module it uses on the host so the host cant use it?