Blender as a Video Editor

Off topic a bit. Since you are video editing you might have done some photo editing as well. Have you tried any open source photo editing softwares? I know GIMP is popular but I don't know if there are other ones out there.

Blender works very well for making videos, except for rendering them once done. Rendering takes SO MUCH TIME compared to Sony Vegas or Kdenlive.

I use GIMP for general stuff and then Krita for digital art. You can actually do some photo editing in blender though depending on what you want to do exactly.

This video shows a little bit but not a lot of what you can do. You can do some pretty cool stuff with Blender if you are able to get familiar with the node and compositor editors that are in the program.

1 Like

What are your specs? I find blender to be a faster, especially if you aren't using GPU acceleration.

I watched a blender tutorial and found it pretty powerful. I dont do video editing much it opened my eye on whats involved.
Blender Tutirial

2 Likes

Yeah, Blender is a pretty amazing program. The thing that I like the most is just how versatile it is while still being good at everything it does.

I started using blender as my main video editor and I absolutely love it.

( I used premier before that )

2 Likes

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :P Good to see there are some people on here that have actually used it :D

This is the latest thing I edited with blender.
It took about 4hr to go from raw footage to final render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqRvyuH9F0

edit: I didn't bother doing any color correcting

3 Likes

If anyone wants a post on where to get started when video editing in Blender, you can just ask. If enough people want it I'll get some stuff together that should make the learning experience a little easier.

I wanted to get into Blender for video editing (I need something for my dual xeon machine to flex its muscles on once it's done ripping DVDs), but I never really got around to figuring it out. Nice to see that there are some resources on it :D will be checking them out. TYYYYYYY x3

1 Like

No worries, glad I could help. I can give you some more if you want. Could probably even turn it into a kind of forum series. Where To Start: XXX.

There are plenty of "blender as video editor" tutorial videos out there but I never found a good one. There's always some combination of things wrong with them:

• Not planned out, narrator blathers on without saying anything useful.
  • Spends 10 minutes at the beginning doing nothing but talking about stuff you don't care about. (just moving cursor around the screen)
  • Gets too granular in details without providing any context for how blender UI works.
  • Shows you how to put a track down and then stops there.
  • Terrible audio recording, mumbling, many filler words (umm, like, yea, soo, ok)
1 Like

I've found some that aren't too bad. That's why I'm thinking about gathering a bunch of good resources in one place. I'll make that this weekend to give people a better place to start. That's probably one of the biggest hurdles with Blender and the stigma behind "It's really hard to learn" is because it's hard to find the decent resource to make it easier.

That and blender UI is.... unique

It feels more daunting than it really is just because the UI feels so alien when compared to other mainstream programs.

Yeah that's true. But the UI is one of the best parts of it just because of how customisable it is. There's no limits to what you can do. It can work around a single monitor or work across 6. You can have as much or as little detail as you want. know all of the key maps? Then have one giant window just for the 3D Modeling with nothing else.

1 Like

I'm going to be giving blender and kdenlive a go over the next few weeks. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while.

First impressions of blender... unsurprisingly it certainly seems powerful enough, looks like it has a good range of capabilities with a high degree of accuracy but I'm unsure if the workflow will suit my needs. I'll reserve judgement until I've given it a full crack of the whip, I'll edit a project and follow some tutorials. So far it seems too slow but maybe I'll change my mind after i memorise the shortcuts and fully explore the work space.

Some key criteria I'm looking out for:

• Project management
  • Audio capability
  • Fast accurate, editing
  • Effective track management and control on the timeline

Areas I expect Blender to excel in:

• Colour correction
  • Compositing

My background is in Avid, Premiere and Vegas. All NLEs have small advantages in certan areas in my opinion. Vegas has long been my personal preference for the highly customisable work space, lavish suite of audio tools (you know Vegas began life as an audio editor?), fine grain track level controls and the sheer speed with which I can work. It's something of a jack of all trades and it doesn't surprise me that the bulk of it's professional adoption seems to be in TV broadcast - that's basically where it excels, at least from my perspective.

All that said the bulk of my editing days are long behind me and all the NLEs have changed since. Heck, Vegas is no longer owned by Sony! I certainly wouldn't say no to an open source alternative and if nothing else it's always fun to learn something new.

2 Likes

I'd definitely prioritise learn how to customise the interface first, that's something I'd recommend to anyone who's looking to get into Blender for any purpose. I'm going to be righting up a Where to Get Started for Blender that brings together a bunch of nice resources and tutorials, so look out for that.

I have made a getting start thread about video editing in Blender. Here it is for y'all.
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/getting-started-with-video-editing-in-blender/109162

For Video Editing I'm using Adobe After Effect and Adobe Premiere Pro.It's very good and simple Software for Video Editing.