Bitwarden send feature

So Bitwarden has a new feature that allows you to share things using secure links. They claim end-to-end AES-256 encryption, but I’m not sure how this works. What process is used to generate the key and how does the person opening the link get the key? And if it’s just a link, how is it actually secure (I get that you could limit how many times it can be opened)? Perhaps these are naive questions.

3 Likes

This is interesting. When I have some time, I’ll investigate it.

4 Likes

Just noticed it myself this morning, I’ll be testing it out with my wife to see how it works.

3 Likes

Ok, so apparently Mozilla had created something similar in the past. I imagine Bitwarden’s implementation has similar steps.

was just going to ask if that is where the cancelled firefox thing went… (Okay, maybe not cancelled)

Yeah, that’s how I would do it.

1 Like

So it works pretty well except for some odd reason the password wouldn’t take. I’m sure I was doing something and not realizing it, but so far I dig it.

Looks like Bitwarden has a high level overview of their implementation as well. Not as detailed as Mozilla’s but looks like they added it.
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/send-encryption/

3 Likes

And they followed it up with a blog post.

I used it with one of my parents via text (set to open only once and expire within the hour) and it worked perfectly, can recommend it from a user perspective, very straightforward and easy to use.

1 Like