Bitcoin Full node on Linode

It’s it viable? How long would the free $100 promotion for a new account last? :slight_smile: Was thinking of running one at home but not sure if I have enough bandwidth. So thought of running one on linode to get a feel. Anyone else doing this?

Ta,
Richard.

1 Like

Scratch that. Made an account with linode. The storage costs don’t make it viable. But will use the account for something else.

1 Like

Bandwidth requirements of an already running node aren’t that much. Only resource intensive step is the initial block download. Each block is about ~1MB, there’s a block every ~10 mins, so that’s about 144 MB of new blocks. You could multiply that a few times to account for sharing with peers, say 10, that adds up to ~1.5GB. That’s the equivalent of streaming a movie.

1 Like

Out of curiosity is there any benefits to running a node? I know the mining aspect of bitcoin but are the nodes getting a cut from transactions?

• You get to help validate blocks, so it’s not left to just the minors. Feel good for helping to secure the block chain. :slight_smile:
  • You can then run the lightning network (layer 2) and have take part in that. You can earn a very small amount with transactions.
  • Support a project the government does not want you to. :slight_smile:

Full nodes only verify the blocks, so can’t directly earn from it. But does mean you can have a wallet that uses your network (and your computer) to check it’s translations on.

I’m still a bit of a noob at all this. So still learning. The 20’s is going to be the decade of the currency wars. Get a little crypto and some popcorn. It’s getting interesting.

I have 0.1BTC and diamond hands. :smiley:

1 Like

Primary reason is privacy, and more broadly speaking, sensorship resistance. You will know for sure that your transaction was broadcasted.

If you can do the initial block download somewhere else, you can easily run a pruned node on a Raspberry Pi 4 (or even a full node if you use a USB drive).

1 Like

Thanks for the info QuarkyPhysicist. I better go order a 1TB ssd. :slight_smile:
I have between 35 to 40 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. Only me on this connection. So plenty so far, don’t need more.

Hi Richard, the $100 promotion for new accounts is typically valid for 60 days from the sign-up date. Regarding bandwidth, Linode offers scalable solutions, so it’s a good choice if you’re unsure about your home setup. Many users start with cloud servers like Linode to gauge their requirements before committing to a home setup

I have 0.0 BTC and a very warm computer room.

(yes, joking)

1 Like