BIOS Update

I have just finished this build:

Case: RaidMax Seiran

Motherboard: M5A97 Evo R2.0 (Socket AM3+ Motherboard)

CPU: AMD 8-Core FX-8350

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55

RAM: 8Gbs of Kingston Beast DDR3 2400 MHz running at 1866 MHz

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Windforce Radeon R9 290

PSU: FSP 750W Power

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2Tb HDD 7200rpm

I put the system together, and the r9 290 was performing the same or worse than my little brother’s 7870, I tried to figure out what the issue was but I could not. So I called the place where I bought the thing from and asked for help or a refund. The guy told me that MAYBE because my MoBo is quite a bit older than the Graphics card that maybe there is some BIOS compatibility issues and that I would need to update my BIOS.

I have bought an UPS (so that’s covered) but I have been watching a few videos in how to do it and some of them confused me more than helped me. I understand the whole download latest BIOS version to usb drive, go to the BIOS select the USB drive where the Update File is and update it part. That’s all basic stuff.
But some people say that the type of file for the BIOS update has changed from “something” (I can’t remember what it was) to “.CAT” and that I have to do something prior updating the BIOS for the update to work. But I can’t find a video or a tutorial that explains this part properly.

Could someone please help me out with this, I really want to update this BIOS to see if that will solve my graphics card issues

Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback.  Found under Support -> Driver & Tools -> Bios Utilities on the Asus website for your motherboard.  Super simple.  Follow the directions.