Big Compute - Dell M1000e Bladecenter | Tek Syndicate

And here I am with PowerEdge 2600 & 1800 paperweights. Damn...

What would Wendell do with this hardware?

This is the kind of stuff i like to see. Keep up the awesome videos!!!

Heya :)

i work daily with 17 Dell M1000e Blade Enclosures everyday :) they are ok, if u can get them cheap used they are cool, but extremly noisy :) i hope i can get my hands on some of the blade servers when they retire them :) 4x 8cores Xeon and 256 gb ram :) then im gonna reuse ram and cpu's in low noise low power setups :)

So @Wendell and @DeusQain say if u need help or stuff for them :)

Best regards Otto

It should be actually able to run crisis but the main question is wether it could run doom.

It will.. someone will make it happen as usual:

2 Likes

that is awesome.

1 Like

Why exactly does it have internal ethernet ports? Would they not be blocked by the blade center backplate and thus unable to be used? Or does the hookup with the blade center provide access for those ports somehow?

Edit: Didn't realize I was bumping an old thread, I just realized I had not yet watched that video in my subscription feed on youtube and came to the forum thread.

the internal ethernet ports are wired into the "fabric" automatically as a result of being inserted into the blade center. The benefit here is that the wiring/cabling is done automatically and as neatly as possible because it's all one big built-in unit.
All 16 blades in the blade center are connected via Fabric A, Fabric B and Fabric C. Fabric A is by default gigabit ethernet. Fabric B can be 1 to 40 gig ethernet or fiber channel and Fabric C can be 1 to 40 gig ethernet or fiber channel. Fabric A can also be 10 gig ethernet on revision A of this chassis.

In this case Fabric A and B are gig ethernet and Fabric C is 10 gig ethernet.

Hello Otto, are you still working with the m1000e chassis?

Sorry for the late reply, yes and no :) i changed department, but still touch it and have access to it :)