Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premiums or something else?

I’m a freelance graphic designer so I tend to spend long hours in front of a computer listening to music. When I’m out and about I have some Shure SE215 IEM’s that are perfect for me – they have clear mids and treble, with a punchy and impactful bass, especially on the extended bass. They’re great.

When I’m at the PC, however, I’m not so fortunate and I’m looking to change that. I’ve got a gaming headset that’s the Logitech G35 (closed) but the pads have started to disintegrate (common problem, apparently) and they are quite muddy in sound generally – they’re your typical gaming headset. I also don’t find them that comfortable. What I’m looking to do, is get a new set of headphones that I can use for music, movies and gaming (when gaming I’d attach something like a modmic 4.0 by Antlion.

I’m looking for a good set of headphones that have a fairly analytical, clear sound ideal for gaming (especially FPS’ where you need to hear footsteps etc.), but don’t lack mids or bass and a good soundstage for positional audio. I don’t mind semi-open or open headphones because I’m in a quiet room with little noise to block out or no one to bother, at a desktop.

I’m looking into the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium’s at the moment for comfort, (but I’m up for suggestions) and my budget is up to £300.

My motherboard is the Asus Maximum Hero VI and I’m wondering whether it could power a 250 OHM headset like the DT880’s or if I’d need to get a dedicated amp to power them (I’d need to save up a bit, but I’m thinking a reasonable amp like the Objective 2 by Mayflower Electronics might be the solution here).

TL;DR:

1. Can the Asus Maximus Hero VI motherboard power the DT 880’s?

2. …or do I need a dedicated amp? If so which one is best and will power it?

3. Are there any other headphones you would recommend for my needs over the DT880’s?

which incarnation of Asus Maximus Hero VI

z87

z97

The Z97 wesite says that it will detect what your headphone impedance is and adjust to fit

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/

as far as the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium’s ... I like them ... but everyone hears and appreciates different audio attributes ... I recommend trying as many as possible before purchasing headphones.

If you want a dedicated amp ... Objective2 + ODAC Combo from Mayflower is hard to beat espesially when paired with  the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium’s.

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/

It's the 1150 one: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/ - will it still power them?

yeah that is the z87 board ... it does not say anything about headphone impedance that I can find ... it only says

SupremeFX
Supremacy through discrete-caliber audio
ROG-exclusive technology implements multi-approach shielding, with ELNA audio capacitors helping offer 8-channel HD sound that's equal in power, clarity, and range to dedicated sound cards. This is the first-ever onboard sound capable of true audiophile-grade performance, set to revolutionize the way you hear games, movies, music, and even other people via chat. Discover a whole new dimension of superior audio and get ready to rule.

SupremeFX shielding: ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference from within the PCB and from other components.
EMI protection cover: protects HD audio chip from interference to ensure sound quality.
ELNA premium Japan-made audio capacitors: provide warm, natural, and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity that are great for game effects and multimedia.

and this under specs

Audio
ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- ELNA premium audio capacitors
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Sonic Radar
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

I know this does not answer your question  ... but you may call their support line and ask them directly.

If I am not mistaken  ... you can buy Beyerdynamic DT 880s with different impedance.