Better for framerate, 960m/4G-VRAM vs. 965m - 2 or 3 G-VRAM?

Hi guys, thanks for all the help and spectacular math explanation.

I don't have the other machine on hand to test, but it looks like I can expect at least a 2-3x improvement over the old model. I don't know about the cuda usage either.

Below is the current spec on a Lenovo Y700 series build. I went with only a 128G M.2 for just a boot drive because the secondary options were 5400rpm, so i think I'll just jam an ssd in afterwards for a second drive. The software pulls a lot of data so I think I'll run it separate, storage is not an issue.

Let me know what you think, I just need to check some reviews and cooling and pull up the manual on it and I think it's a go. Thanks again.

ideapad Y700 Touch-15ISK
Part number: 80NWCTO1WW

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50GHz)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64

Total Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) PC3-17000 DDR4-2133 (2 SODIMM)

Chipset: HM170

Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB

15.6" FHD (1920x1080) LED Backlit, IPS, Anti-Glare display, Multitouch

Hard Drive 2: 128GB Solid State Drive M.2Adapter

Just a followup for those who helped. I ended up going with an ROG-GL552VW:

The lenovo didn't have an external replaceable battery, I couldn't get it without the 2.5" bay populated (they didn't even offer an ssd) they won't sell the drive cage and cable separately to install my own option. The M.2 drive is sata3 anyway (took a lot of research to clarify). To even acces the guts people are breaking the clips all over...The touchscreen is crap and glossy plastic. It had the performance specs but the rest is unimpressive.

The new ROG has a few drawbacks, but once in hand I like it VERY much. The software I'm using is still hammering the i7-6700HQ at 125% throttled up, but the images are smooth. It shows a lot of fingerprints, otherwise relatively sturdy and butter smooth. Win 10 Pro was not an option, but not a dealbreaker. Oh, and it comes with a type-c connector...

Lesson? Always check LOTS of reviews!