Best x8 expansion slot for pcie passthrough with esxi

Hello fellow AMD users,

With the awesome dollar to value ratio of 3900x. I am planning to upgrade my personal desktop(Currently with ryzen 5 2600 asus sxtrix-f gaming mobo and 1050ti).

The plan is to use esxi. Since I already have vmug subscription and other two hosts with esxi in it. Would make it easier to move vm’s. I have got managed to get gpu passthrough with the help of /u/th4freak

However, I am having issues trying to passthrough usb controller. Since this motherboard only have 2 x8 slots that are connected to cpu and are passable. Does anyone know best x8 expansion card that will work with esxi with possibly thunderbolt and usb 3.1 type A. Since this is the only expansion slot I want to extract as much as I can through it.

This way I will have:

Top Slot x16( works as x8) - GPU Passed through

Mid Slot x16(Works as x8)

2 x1 slots: pcie intel nic to be used with esxi.

Bottom x16(Works as x4 2.0) - 10gbe card to be used with esxi.

Or any usb pcie card that is known to work is really appreciated.

I am cross posting this from reddit /r/amd as suggested there.

Thank you in advance.

I would also be interested in the answer as I have mulled over building something similar for quite some time. Although passthrough issues have prevented me from doing so.

As suggested in reddit. I have ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTZZP5E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will update how I go. Its a bummer that other high end cards haven’t been tested.