Best Studio Headphones Under $200?

Hey guys I am just getting into creating music (mostly electronic, house, bass, dubstep, etc..) I figured the first thing is to grab a pair of studio headphones, can anyone recommend me some?

(I do not know a lot of technical terms for these and what not, as I am just a begginer but what is a good headset for creating electronic music, for ex. Skrillex, Krewella, Ephixa)

Thanks guys.

Beyerdynamic DT 880 if you can get em for $200 Logan just did an unboxing video of them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtV6COV_fk4

May I note that I will be making heavy bass music, great choice but should I like at the beyerdynamic one pros, they are a bass centered pair of headphones

I just bought a pair of audio-technica ath-m50's. and there amazing.

$140 off of ebay brand new. i highly recommend  

You should be mixing on studio monitor SPEAKERS, not headphones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRK-Rokit-5-Powered-Studio-Monitors-Rokit5-Speaker-Pair-/271343285819?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item3f2d51f63b

for audio creation you shouldn't get ANYTHING centric headphones, a good flat monitoring is generally the way to go, I hear only good things about ath-m50s

Hmm, if I want a bass heavy should I go with the custom one pros? That way I can listen and enjoy and you can set it so the bass is neutral for audio creation?

?

I suggest the AKG k550s. I used to own the DT880 Premiums, and they're nowhere near the k550 in term of low lows ( like real low, down to 10hz, the beyer is anemic down there) They're both good but the K550s are enjoyable, accurate and have more features than the 880 Premiums, whereas the 880 premiums are certainly less enjoyable. In terms of punch, the DT 880s are better around the 100 to 150 range.

Highs are certainly more 'sparkly' on the beyer, but the akg is no slouch. 

Agreed with everyone else here. A good set of flat response near-field, self powered studio monitors are the way to go. You will also want to make sure you have a DAC that is also up to the task of not colorizing the music at all. Also keep in mind your listening environment is equally as important to look at as the electronics themselves. A room with poor acoustics will change the sound of even near-field monitors more than you may like. Luckily, this can usually be easily remedied, even with something as simple as rearranging furniture and adding some acoustical boards on the walls.

If you must use studio headphones because you live in an apartment or something, then you are going to get more recommendations then you can handle. One personal might like Audio Technica, another AKG, another Beyerdynamic, and another Sennheiser. Because audio is such a personal thing, the best thing I can recommend is to just try them for yourself, just make sure you are trying ones with a flat response.

As far as my personal choice? Sennheiser HD280 Pros or HD380.

First, those are not real studio quality.  I have a pair.  They are nice but not comparable to the real deal. Second, studio engineers listen to multiple sources when working. Again and again and again, it's nauseating. Everything from cheap stereos to high end audio. I even saw a studio with an unused vocal booth setup a car stereo and car speakers...

Thanks for all your help, but what is a good choice for a dubstep basshead like myself?

I listen to a lot of EDM, and honestly I can't imagine getting anything other than my Sennheiser HD558's. They are open-air cans, but I LOVE the sound they give, and are the most comfortable thing I have ever tried; I can honestly wear them all day, and forget I have them on.

That is completely subjective though, because while my friend will admit the mids and highs are crystal clear, he likes his headsets to literally rattle on his head, which these do not do. While you can perfectly 'hear' the lower frequencies, they will not rattle around on your head, which I honestly prefer. He loves his V-Moda's, while I think they sound muddy, and have too much bass. The funny part, we love the same music.

This all goes right back to what I said, sound is completely personal, and what may be the 'perfect' sound to one person, may be annoying to the next. For listening to music, if you are ok with an open-air design, would be the HD558's for the under $200 budget, with the HD360's for doing reference/studio work. I will admit though you can not go wrong with any of the other headsets mentioned in this thread. Best thing you can do is try them side by side (or just try/return as needed).

This also gets into what source will be driving the speakers/headphones. As mentioned before, don't forget about a good DAC. This is a must no matter what you decide to do, whether it is studio monitors or headphones. With headphones, you will also need to look into a good headphone amp to power them as well; onboard audio is going to muddy the sound, and will not do headphones justice.

Thanks so much for your help, what you said about on-board audio, what is a decent sound card to get under 100$?

Because I want to be able to utilize my studio headphones

Well just to put out some more info, I would have to say the ASUS Xonar DGX is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to something that power most headphones, sound fantastic, and be affordable. It has a built in headphone amp, something most soundcards under $100 can not say, a decent DAC, and it can be had for less than $40. What it will not do great is multi-channel sound, but if you just want your headphones to sound good on your computer, it is by far the best way to go. 

Really, at only $40, you really just can not beat it; I was running a setup that cost >$200 through FiiO with the E7/E9 combo, and it really didn't beat the DGX for just headphone listening. (Side note, the Xonar DG is the exact same thing, just over PCI, whereas the DGX is PCI-e).

IF you are going to be mixing, then you don't want your headphoes to have colored sound, as stated above. That is just the way that it is. You should also be very comfortable with the sound of the headphones so that you know what sounds "right". With that in mind, I say that you should put a lot of listening time in to whatever headphones you get before you actually use them for mixing, otherwise you might end up mixing to your headphones and not to the actual sound of the music. A great (probably best) set of cans in your price range are the HP100. Look around and read reviews. These are the flattest headphones that I've ever heard. Do note though that any reviews that came out before launch date might be a bit skewed because they could have changed the sound of the cans before releasing them according to the reviews and feedback. These things are amazing though.

http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386921522&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+hp100

a good pair of Headphones doesnt hurt!

I have the Shure SRH 840 - its perfect! (maybe a little heavy with time)

edit: @the mixing buisness: Shure you dont want your monitors/headphones to colour the sound - but it is almost impossible to get the perfect setup. My advice would be: get the most linear system with what money you have (usually that means that you have to spend most money into your room acustics) - and than just stick with it. Find the flaws of your system (maybe a drop @150Hz if you have a normal 2.1-PC-System, maybe your room boosts at 100Hz). And most important: check with different systems after mixing! That could be a pair of Headphones or your Stereo or whatever.

It doesn't matter, you shouldn't be mixing on headphones. Sure, listen to a bunch of different systems, but do it AFTER doing the majority of the work on speakers. 

I'd suggest a FiiO E10 instead of a soundcard because it has a low output impedance where soundcards usually hover around 10 ohms.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html