Best SSD for C++ development on Ubuntu? Compiling lots of code

Hello everyone,

For now I'm running my Ubuntu development on a VM on a HDD.
The rest of the hardware being:
Intel Core i5 (socket 1155) 4x3.3Ghz
16 GB 1600 Mhz RAM
(new powerful nvidia graphics card coming soon)

I'm planning to buy an SSD and install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (as soon as it's released) as second OS and use that for development including the following tasks:

developing / compiling C++ code with multiple math libraries.
Doing GPU computing with an Nvidia graphics card that I will get from a sponsor in a month or two.
And also, I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to close browser tabs or close an IDE when it's not needed. so the SSD should be capable of handling everything at once.

I'm already using a SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250 GB with Windows installed on it.

Now Corsair launched a new SSD series and I'm interested in buying the 240 GB version of those.

My concrete question is:
1. Does it matter which kind of SSD I buy for using ubuntu/linux
2. And also should I go with another of the Samsung 850 EVO drives or try out the corsair force LE series.
EDIT:
3. Which filesystem is the best choice for my use case?

Thanks in advance!

If you're going to get another SSD for compiling an M.2 would probably be the best choice as they're faster than Sata3 SSD's. If you're going to buy a new SATA3 it doesn't really matter as every SSD on the market now is basicly fast enough to cap the speed of SATA3, just go for the most capacity for your money.
I don't think the filesystem would make much of a difference on performance, so just go with what ever one you want.

I have a samsung 950 pro and it really does make a difference when it comes to compiling things like kernels and what not.

Is this compared to other Sata3 SSD's on the market? Is it better than an Intel or AData SSD when compiling?

Yeah, but not by a whole hell of a lot.

If you don't feel like spending the cash, or you simply don't feel like you want an m.2 drive, I would go with the samsung 850 pro.

Its a few bucks more than a regular SSD, and it has very good 4K read and write speeds which is ultimately what you want for compiling.

1 Like

thanks for the advices.
Sorry but I forgot to state that my motherboard lacks an m.2 slot.
I could buy a PCIe card though to plug one into it.

Ok, so nobody takes the new Corsair SSD s into account?

There aren't any reviews for the Force LE that I am aware of, so we can't really recommend them. You could get the Intel pcie ssd.

You mean a PCI-e SSD, because not all M.2 drives are PCI-e

so to answer @gamemaker100
It probably doesn't really matter at all seeing as people have been compiling on hard drives for like ever. So just grab whatever SSD is 500/500 on the read/write, more storage is always nicer though.

The corsair SSDs are new and will probably be bad as far as cost per GB go

There's this one from adata at $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211984&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

1 Like

Actually it's really tempting to buy a really cheap SSD and throw it away when it dies after two years, because my code will always be backed up.
So that ADATA drive or one of the SanDisk SSDs is also an alternative.

you can get a pci-e expansion card to add an m.2 slot

Right, but, then you're spending ever more for less really.