Best Ryzen for 6800XT?

I have a i9 9900KS and a 6800XT graphic card

It’s a pretty great pair, but I recently remembered I have a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac in a different machine, and actually would love to downscale things to a mini itx system again

Currently that machine have a super boring AMD 200GE CPU, but it supports just about every Ryzen released. Long story short…

What Ryzen CPU would be the perfect pairing to a 6800XT?

I been looking at the 5600

But the 5600x or even 5800x is not that much more expensive… Wonder if it would actually matter

Have in mind, I will be using a corsair 1200w PSU I already have and a Noctua NH-P1 passive cooler.
So power is not an issue at all, but the cooler limits me a little bit.
It will be all housed in a Fractal Torrent Nano with coolers left and right to the cpu heatsink, so should be fairly cool no matter what

It is “just” a gaming PC. I will use my 9900KS as capture PC and video editing, so don’t need that beastly a CPU in the gaming machine

I’d say anything above an R5 3600 would be swell, just remember to update your BIOS in case you go with a newer CPU.

1 Like

You can tweak down Zen 3 in TDP/PPT quite a bit if necessary. I’m running my 5900x@65W TDP via Ryzen ECO mode and it’s only like 10% lower clocks and performance. The 5600x defaults to 45W in ECO mode. This is a one-click BIOS option, but you can tweak further by manual undervolting/clocking.

I generally recommend 8-core for pure gaming builds, be it 5700x or 5800x. It’s not a coincidence that AMD released the 3D Vcache version for their 8-core CPU. Only get the 5700x if it is substantially cheaper than 5800x, because you want that higher clock speed for gaming.

But 5600x is well known for it’s outstanding price/performance ratio, as was the predecessor the 3600x.

Anything below a 5800X3d will be a bottle neck at some level. However 5600X will be fine but a 3600 will be a significant bottleneck so don’t do it, sell the expensive GPU and get something that will perform the same on the 3600 like an RX 5600.

It’s funny you mention it. I looked a lot on the 5700x. It is almost a 5800x but 65w as default.

The 5800x is a little bit more expensive, and the 5800x3d a lot more expensive. I don’t think I could fully justify a 5800x3d (would be perfect if there was a 5600x3d) but the 5700x seem to be resonable i think. Without limiting the 6800XT. I play at 1440p.

I also have some ballistix max 4400mhz ram already, so it is only a cpu upgrade i need.

The whole point is to keep the gpu. Just finding a fitting cpu within the limits of TDP and cooling. Currently looking at the 5700x to be a candidate

Ryzen 5700X/5800X/5800X3D is what I’d generally go for in that case, If… Budget is not a problem, if it is, well. 5800X3D… Uh, just, throw it out of this reply :v

Or go used market. If that’s something you’d be fine with >_>

1 Like

You can’t overclock the X3D, so you are probably locked out of undervolting/ECO/whatever option as well to tweak down power and heat. May be necessary for @AT0MAC with a 105W TDP CPU that draws up to 142W which is likely too hot for his case/cooler.

5700x is basically a factory underclocked 5800x. This is a fairly new SKU, but all other 65W TDP SKUs can be tweaked down to 45W TDP via ECO. So 5700x vs 5800x is more a 105W/65W vs 65W/45W decision.

Oh right, I didn’t notice the case/cooling, been scatterbrained today. My b chief! Thanks for pointing that out.

For me it with 6900XT it was a toss up between 5800X3d, 5900X and 5950X.

I went for the 5900X as a compromise, i want more cores for vm workloads (pretty sure its actually cheaper than 5800X3d too), but the 5800X3d would have been slightly faster for gaming. And for me, the 5950x is a bit more money than i wanted to tip into am4 at this point.

Any of them will be fast enough, most people aren’t buying cards like 3080+ or 6800XT+ for 1080p gaming, they’re buying them for 1440p or 4k and you’re more likely gpu bottlenecked there anyway.

1 Like

5700X would be a very good choice if you want to keep your cooler. I bought a 5900X and an AIO cooler just to be sure. Just be 5600X or above and it will be powerful enough.

Worth noting also is that depending on your board, the 5600 non-X, and other similar “new” SKUs might not have BIOS support in your motherboard as shipped from the vendor.

Which means you may need to do BIOS flash to get support for the CPU.

A colleague ran into this at work a couple of weeks back (pretty sure he bought a 5600 non-x or 5500) and unfortunately his board didn’t have CPU-less BIOS flash. He ended up getting the vendor to flash it for him, but its just a pain you don’t need. For the time/money required to ship it back, pay for flash, etc, he could have just bought the better CPU.

Something to keep in mind if you’re going for one of the Ryzen SKUs released recently (in April 2022 I think). He couldn’t POST with the BIOS that his motherboard shipped with.

So, either go for a board with BIOS flashback, check it is shipping with updated BIOS, or go for an SKU released originally for less hassles. So I’d suggest avoiding the 5600 for sure, to avoid the hassles.

Thanks for all the recommandations everyone. Awesome feedback here.

I have just booked a 5800X because the under-clock features seem to be best of both - i have the power, if i can cool it, and i can underclock it for daily use without missing out too much.

On my way to pick it up right now

4 Likes

Get a 5800x3D if you will only be doing gaming. Then you will always get the best FPS available to you today.

I guess you made your choice already. The 5800x is good and some day in the future you can get a 5800x3D for a much lower price for a nice upgrade in gaming performance.

a 5600X or 5700X will be fine
during the 5800X3D testing I had to set graphics to 2nd or 3rd highest, and 1080p on a 3090 ti and the GPU was still the bottleneck most of the time

so I’d say a 1440p card like a 6800XT would be fine for either of those chips

remember to enable PBO to get the most out of your ryzen chip

1 Like

Yes. Yes indeed. I really wanted a X3D cpu, but the price difference here is very steep. I can not justify it at the moment. I am hoping when next gen Ryzen is released it will drop in price, so for now I am on the 5800x

1 Like

Performance will be great anyway and the 3D version will make a nice upgrade some day.

1 Like

I never enable PBO. It just makes things run hotter for little to no performance increase.
It is honestly the most useless feature they have released.

So… I build the thing. But on the AsRock B450 Gaming-itx i cant seem to find eco mode or any of the other limits?
So, right now I just run the fans a little more than I usually would and it 100% works. No matter how hard i push it i cant make it go over 75c degrees.

Its actually very ok. The machine is way smaller than my last build and so much easier to manage.

I need a new psu though. The corsair ax1200 is pretty noisy compared to rest of the machine

2 Likes

what kind of passive cooler is this? Looks interesting.

1 Like