Best Ryzen CPU for a server?

I am replacing my Dual E5-2680 V4’s with a single Ryzen system with a system based on the ASRock Rack X470D4U

This is the supported CPU list:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#CPU

I have been focused on Intel server CPU’s for the longest time, I’m not up on what the best bang for the buck Ryzen CPU is

So far the 5800X looks fairly good value, but there are so many CPU’s that I’m honestly not too sure which is best

The E5-2680 V4 gets just 18,000 passmark, and the 5800X gets 28,000. A single E5-2680 V4 was always plenty, so I might even be able to go lower

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Alright, looks like the 3900X or the 3700X is the winner depending on how much I want to spend

You might want to get a Pro CPU so that the whole setup could properly do ECC RAM should you need it in the future.

The 3700X Supports ECC

Unsure if it is a fully supported implementation of ECC though, Ive read elsewhere online that it is a compatibility thing where your RAM would run but you have no verifiable way of knowing if the actual error correction is happening. AFAIK, only Epyc, Threadripper and Pro CPU fully supports it.

1 Like

I’m new to Ryzen, so maybe I’m wrong, but as long as you have a supported board I thought it was all good?

I’ll be running a server board, an ASRock X470D4U

I recently built a server with a Ryzen 5700X and a X570 board and ECC memory. Seems to work, I haven’t verified it more than checking dmesg:

EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.

Don’t know about X470 and ECC support, but you can find a list from ASUS of Ryzen CPU:s with ECC support if you google “ASUS FAQ 1045186” (wasn’t allowed to include a link).

AFAIK you only need PRO for ECC support if it’s a Ryzen APU, i.e. a G model with integrated graphics.

If you might grow your needs or want the new system to possibly last longer… Maybe the 5900x is in your budget

1 Like

What is your workload?

If you aren’t pushing for heavy CPU and it’s just a dumb nas then even a 3300x would be great. They’re about as fast as a skylake i7 without the cpu bugs and more modern platform.

1 Like

I love the x470d4u board. I’m using a 2600 with Corsair lpx ram. I have backups to truenas so I’m not worried about ecc ram.

I’ve also seen reports that although a ryzen board supports ecc, it doesn’t use the ecc function unless it’s a pro cpu.

If you’re looking at the 3700x or 3900x, I’d personally say the 3700x. Simply for heat. I live in the southeast US and in warmer months gaming for just a few hours with a 5900x will make a 12x8 very to extremely uncomfortable.

Thanks, no issues with the board? Generally happy?

This system will be replacing a board with Dual E5-2680 V4’s, so really any single CPU is an upgrade. The server will reside in a closet that can get has hot as it wants to with affecting me

Off topic, but I installed a Mini Split AC in my office where mine and my wifes desktop PC’s are, very nice to be able to set the room to any temperature I want without affecting the rest of the house, and not sucking down power like the main AC

Lots of VM’s, mostly low load VM’s with a few high load ones

I think the 3300x may be a little too low performance, I don’t mind spending the extra on the 3700X

Yeah I’m thinking about it, I read your comment a few days ago and I have both bookmarked

If I’m spending this much on RAM, I want it to last a long time!

edit: warning - extended rambling reasoning i went through recently ahead…

Yeah i wasn’t saying buy a 3300x, just that it depends on your workload.

That said, i have an intel i7-6700 at work which i use for lab (since 2017) with 64 GB of RAM and it is regularly running 5-10 virtual machines including GNS3 for router simulation “just fine”. It’s all SSD so storage isn’t a huge deal, and it isn’t blisteringly fast, but it handles it.

If you’re doing a bunch of VMs and looking at Ryzen for home user IMHO the sweet spot is the 5900X right now. It just wins in terms of $/core and performance/$.

Which is why i bought one. The 5950x is maybe 10-15% faster (BEST case!) but much more expensive (like +40%). Also unless you have good cooling it sometimes draws level or loses to the 5900 in some sustained workloads - at much higher price. Its not bad, just much more expensive and also needs more expensive case/cooling/etc. to be worth it. If you’ve got a well ventilated case and great cooling and willing to spend… go nuts. But if you don’t have great cooling… imho don’t waste your money going above the 5900x on AM4; you likely won’t see the benefit.

5900X vs 5800X - you get double the L3 cache plus 50% more cores for nowhere near 50% more money. If you can swing it, its better value than the 5800 imho. By a lot. But of course it only matters if it isn’t just sitting idle…

For games (if this will be a dual purpoes gaming/home workstation) - most games are still happily within ~6 core usage which fits within ONE of the 2 CCX units in the 5900X so the cross CCX penalty isn’t a big hit.

The 5800X3d wins on some stuff but doesn’t have as many cores to carve off if you want to pin stuff to specific cores - and its more expensive than the 5900X right now. It’s marginally faster in games and single thread but… its not like the other 5000 series are slow at that.

But if you can wait, maybe see what AM5 offers and what the pricing is.

IMHO Threadripper is overkill unless you’re making actual money with it or have a niche use case where you need heaps of IO. 5000 series ryzen (especially 5900/5950X) is fast enough and expandable enough for most home user stuff, easily.

If you’re going for more than 4 cores (i.e., above 3300x) definitely make sure to compare pricing on 5000 series vs. 3000.

At least where i am, 3000 series was recently selling for almost same price as equivalent 5000 series and 5000 is 10-20% faster per core so… unless you’re going for low end that doesn’t exist in 5000 (e.g., less than 6 cores), 3000 no longer makes sense unless you get 20-25% plus discount vs. same core count in 5000.

Also… 6 core 5600 = 8 core 3700 in terms of performance. And its newer, has more up to date security fixes, etc. So unless its very cheap its probably not worth buying >6 or <12 cores in 3000 series anyway. At that point just buy a 5600 (or higher) instead. Put another way - if a 3300X will work, get that. If you can find a 3950X cheap (i.e., less than 5900X and you need that many cores) - get that. Otherwise look at 5000 series, unless the 3700/3800/3900 is very cheap. When i was recently looking, 5900X was cheaper than 3950X and better performance!

edit:
I’ve actually got a 2700X, 3300X, 3400G and 5900X here so i’ve had a bit of a cross section of Ryzen CPUs to play with back to back.

The standouts imho are the 3300X and 5900X in terms of performance amongst that bunch. Anything 2000 series or older really is losing a lot vs. later ryzen in terms of performance. The 3300x beats the 2700X by a lot in single thread and isn’t as far off as you might think in multi-thread despite having half the cores. IPC gain plus better clocks help later Ryzens a HEAP.

I would not touch earlier than 3000 at this point. The jump from 2000 to 3000 is huge, and the jump from 3000 to 5000 is almost as big. Never mind the security fixes, etc.

It’s only APU models where the PRO name means ECC support. All of their chips without integrated graphics support ECC, it’s just dependant on the motherboard.

IIRC, pretty much all Asrock boards down to low-end consumer boards support ECC. Other manufacturers are a mixed bag.

Love this board. The only issue I had was when all the pcie slots are filled it took about an hour of moving devices around to get everything to show up in proxmox and be in its own iommu group. According to the block diagram every slot is it’s own group. I was testing it with a 1030,10g nic and p400. I wanted to make sure each showed up and had its own group before making it my main host. Not sure why there were so many iterations to make it work but in the end it did what I wanted. I’ve since set it up for hba,10g nic and 1660. I will say I am tempted in the x570d4u-2l2t if that ever becomes available (seem impossible for a reasonable price aka msrp or below). Only for the fact it has built in 10g which would let me get rid of my desktop and one less machine matching heat.

I’ve thought of a mini split or even a window unit. Unfortunately our spare room is in the front of our condo and hoa would have a field day of fines for that.

I would not recommend the pro series threadrippers unless you have a workstation with monster CPU loads. For an actual server you can get epyc chips at a slight cost savings over a TR pro. For example a 5975wx 32 TR pro retails at $3300 while a 7543p 32 core Epyc can be had for about $3,050. You get ECC support on both, just not the higher clocks of the TR Pro. Lower core count models are likely comparable. Based on the outlined use case I think both options would be way overkill.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.